Social Icons

Pages

Tuesday, May 23, 2023

In Common

Since the beginning of the year, my work has been absolutely exploding.  It’s been a major blessing and jobs have been pouring in from the border in San Diego to San Jose in Northern California. But there is more work than I can handle at times, so I thought I would try to hire someone full time to help me.

I put out the word to people I know, and my wife posted on Social Media, but as of yet no luck. The one thing I keep hearing is that young people don’t want to work hard. Instead, they want to work from home, get paid tons of money, be on their phones and social media all day, and enjoy instant gratification. That might be true, and it might not be. I don’t like to generalize. But if it is true, then I would have to say that I don’t have much in common with the younger generation. I started working really hard when I was 16, and I’ve never stopped. I don’t mind driving, I don’t mind getting dirty, and I enjoy being productive. I especially enjoy challenges and learning new things. So what’s up with the next generation?

I found out this past weekend. My daughter and her husband took a short trip to Nashville for both business and pleasure. So my granddaughter, Andie, who is 15, is staying with us for a week. I have been driving her to school and picking her up and getting to spend some quality time with her. The more I get to know her, the more impressed I am with her. If she is an example of the next generation, then the world is going to be a lot better off than it is now. Andie is sweet and quiet, but she is also uncommonly strong and athletic, making varsity cheerleader as a sophomore. She plays piano, sings, and is a soloist in her school choir. She works really hard in school, makes straight A’s, and oh yeah… her goal is to become a pediatrician so she can help sick kids.

I was starting to think that I probably don’t have anything in common with the next generation. And I for sure probably don’t have anything in common with my 15 year old granddaughter. But maybe I was wrong, because yesterday morning, when I asked Andie about  her faith, she said, “Faith is very important to me.” You know what… we have a lot in common!


Be kind, don’t judge, and have respect for others.

If we can all do this, the world will be a better place.

The point is to teach this to the next generation.

~ Jasmine Guinness

No comments:

Post a Comment