Social Icons

Pages

Monday, June 5, 2023

Good Enough For Me

I travel a lot of miles every week to do ultrasonic pole inspection projects. Sometimes I go as far south as the border of Mexico, and sometimes as far north as San Jose. The work is hard and challenging, but I enjoy overcoming obstacles and being productive, so I am thankful for the work. However, I noticed something changed last week. Schools are letting out for the summer and there are young kids everywhere I go. And not only are they everywhere, they are ripping around on electric E-Bikes like maniacs on crowded concrete sidewalks and busy asphalt streets.

Young kids riding E-Bikes are pretty scary because it’s so dangerous. But watching out for them also got me thinking about how hard kids have to work at school to get good grades and how hard it is for them to have to do homework every night. So I don’t blame kids for going a little crazy when they first get their summer break. I just don’t want them to get hurt, so I find myself driving more carefully and wishing I could join them by taking a summer break myself.

And that’s exactly what I’m going to do! My wife has also been working super hard to get her new charity off the ground, so we decided it was time for us to finally take a real vacation. It will be our first vacation in 4 years, and we are excited because we’re going to the island of Kauai. We plan to sleep in, visit a different beach every day, play lots of golf, and eat lots of fresh seafood. We’ve been there before and have so many great memories, but for some reason, I find myself feeling a little guilty about taking time off from work.

And that got me thinking... Hard workers are a blessing because for the world to survive, we need people to be productive. But working too much or too hard for too long can be counterproductive. In fact, I’m pretty sure when God gave us the sabbath day, a day of rest, He knew that the world was going to be a tough place to live and that we would truly need a break at times. So if God thinks it’s a good idea to take a break, that’s good enough for me!

Princeville, Kauai

May the light of God’s love shine upon you

And guide you where ere you may be,

Making lighter earth’s burdens and sorrows

Keeping your soul joyous and free.

                   ~ Gertrude Toole Buckingham, 1948



No comments:

Post a Comment