Social Icons

Pages

Monday, April 16, 2018

Allowance (By Debby Thrailkill)


Recently, I was listening to a radio talk show and the topic of children receiving allowance came up. This got me thinking back to the days when I received an allowance from my parents. I recalled receiving this money for good behavior, completing my chores, and doing my school work. I started receiving an allowance at age 10 and it was small ($5-$10) but it was quite a treat. I remember hopping on my bike and rolling downhill to the shopping center about a mile away, buying a triple scoop ice cream at the Savon counter for 75 cents, and then cruising the center for anything else that caught my eye, like tiny frogs and turtles from the pet store, a stick of perfume for my mom from the drug store, or maybe a McDonalds Big Mac. Having purchasing power was exciting but having earned the money was an even better feeling of accomplishment, which bolstered my self-confidence. I was proud and happy, and I always eager to share my allowance with others.

The talk show host spoke about how the allowance system gives parents a tool to teach their children about responsibility, hard work, and saving money, while instilling self-worth. It enables parents to teach their children to follow rules, contribute to the family, and receive rewards. I would wash and dry dishes, vacuum around the house, rake leaves and help with yardwork on the weekends. Of course, all of this should be expected in a family, but motivation to please and succeed were important to me as well, so I am thankful for the valuable lessons I learned.

As I matured in my life and faith, and with help from my husband and wonderful friends, it became important to me to please God and succeed in receiving His allowance. So, what does God offer, and what does He expect of me in return? I've learned that He wants me to be faithful to Him, to follow His commandments and rules, and communicate with Him through prayer. I know He wants me to help others and always contribute in a positive way and I am confident that the reward He offers us is far greater than any reward we could ever imagine.

I like to talk to God, so I pray, most of the time silently, but sometimes out loud. I praise His Name and His will be done. I thank Him for my family and friends, for the food on my table, and for those who risk their lives to provide freedom for us all. I ask forgiveness of my sins, and for the courage, strength and smarts not to keep sinning! And I pledge myself to Him. In return, He offers me eternal life with Him in Heaven and I fall to my knees knowing I am not worthy. But I am constantly trying and that’s what counts. I guess what I have learned is that an allowance is much more than a payoff, it is an opportunity for accomplishment upon faithful and loyal service… and that motivates me more than anything else!


No eye has seen, no ear has heard, 
and no mind can imagine the things 
that God has prepared for those who love Him.
~ 1 Corinthians 2:5


1 comment:

  1. Very nice, Mrs. T!
    Hoping you have a very Happy Birthday, Sir Joseph.....and may all your wishes come true��

    ReplyDelete