Social Icons

Pages

Tuesday, February 20, 2024

A Wonderful Feeling

I’ve been doing something lately that I haven’t done in years. I’ve been going for walks while pushing a baby stroller. And here’s the cool part. There’s a baby girl in that stroller, Blakely, who makes me feel like maybe, just maybe, she thinks I’m great. And let me tell you, that is a wonderful feeling!

Funny thing is, she’s only 19 months old, but yet I can tell that she fully trusts me. I hold on tight to her stroller, and I talk to her, and I sing to her as we travel the neighborhood. I do my best to make her smile and laugh… and she does smile, and she does laugh. And she makes me laugh too! Fact is, she is possibly the happiest little girl I have ever seen, which rubs off on me in a really good way. I mean, it’s pretty hard to frown around someone who is so darn cute.

But I know we don’t live in a rose garden. There are cars that go by us way too fast, and dogs that bark and growl way too loud, and a whole world that is full of all kinds of danger and trouble. Blakely doesn’t know that yet, so that’s good… for now. She just knows that she likes to go out in the world in her stroller and on car rides with Grandpa, and that Grandpa says, “I love you”, a lot. But she will slowly discover that the world can be a really tough place and that not everyone will hold on to your stroller so tightly.

Blakely trusts me and her Grandma very much and we appreciate that. But I wish there was some way that we could help her learn how to deal with the troubles that will eventually come as she struggles to grow up and make a life of her own. But what can we do? Maybe trust is a good start. In fact, maybe trust is the key because “to trust” means to rely on another person because we feel safe with them and have confidence that they care about us. Trusting in someone also provides the security of knowing we are not alone, which gives us strength and courage. And that got me thinking…

I am blessed to have a loving and devoted wife who I trust completely and who trusts me just the same. But if I were to lose her, I still have someone I talk to every morning, give thanks to every night, and trust implicitly because He told me that He would never leave me, and I believe Him. That too is such a wonderful feeling!


For He has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you."
~ Hebrews 13:5


No comments:

Post a Comment