Social Icons

Pages

Sunday, May 14, 2023

Love and Sacrifice

Today is Mother’s Day. It’s the day we celebrate and honor our Moms, a day where we show them our love and take care of them for a change. However, I have a feeling that in most households Mom is still busy working, helping with the food, making sure everyone is happy, and cleaning up afterwards. It’s not our fault that happens… most Moms are just built that way. But still, we men should try to help out where we can with the chores and stuff, you know, so the women aren’t so busy.

My Mom certainly was a busy Mom. Unfortunately I can’t thank her because she passed away. But if I could thank her, here is what I would say… Hi Mom! I miss you and I’m sorry that I didn’t call you more often when you were still alive. But I want you to know that even though I didn’t call you every day, I always thought about you, because every single day things would happen that would remind me of you and all the things you taught me growing up. Every day still, I am reminded of the sacrifices you made so that me and my sister could have a chance at a good life. When Dad was shipped overseas with the Marine Corps, you stepped up and took a part-time job so we could eat. You hand made our clothes on a sewing machine, and when a neighbor boy was beating up a smaller child, you stepped in and knocked him on his butt. You taught me about strength and courage during hard times, and you taught me the true meaning of love and sacrifice. I thank you and I love you.

Now that my Mom is gone, I find myself looking at my wife in a new light. I notice she has a lot of the same traits. She loves to do for others, take care of others, and sacrifice her own wants and needs for others. She is strong but gentle, passionate yet compassionate, smart and humble all at the same time. So yesterday, I made it a point to thank her for all she does. I tried to explain to her why she is such an amazing Mom. It starts with how much our kids and grandkids love her, but it goes much deeper. She lives her faith and sets a bold example for everyone around her. Not only has she done a great job of taking care of me, our four kids, and our seven grandkids, she also donates tons of time to help foster children as well. She is a tireless advocate for doing what is right, she won’t take crap from anyone, and I’ve never seen her back down from a fight. She truly exemplifies love and sacrifice every day by fighting for those less fortunate.

And that got me thinking… Having a hard working Mother that taught me the true meaning of love and sacrifice, helped me to find a hard working wife who shares those same wonderful traits. I definitely received a double blessing there, but wait… hang on a minute… I’ve been writing this for way too long and I need to get off my butt and go get some chores done, you know, cause its Mother’s Day!

Mama...I donut know what I would do without you!

A Mother’s hug lasts long after she lets go.
Anonymous


No comments:

Post a Comment