Social Icons

Pages

Monday, January 3, 2022

Every New Day is a Gift

On New Year’s Day, I woke up to a beautiful sunrise which reminded me how great it is to live in Southern California. I get up early every day, always have, but I also really enjoy the moment each day when my wife walks out to our kitchen to greet me. Even after 28 years, I am still super happy, always have been, to see her lovely face and warm sleepy smile. But when I wrapped my arms around her, she felt tense, and I could tell something was bothering her.

I didn’t press or ask her questions right away, but I definitely knew something was wrong. Around 10:00am I found her with her head in her hands, crying and shaking. Now this is a very strong woman that rarely ever cries. Not even when they broke one of her ribs in half to rebuild one of her lungs, did she shed a tear. So I knew whatever was making her sad must be really bad. Being a normal stupidly macho man, I usually start asking questions and giving advice. But this time, I decided to be smart for a change and just listen. After a long while she finally told me why she dreaded the new year.

Sadly, her list of reasons was a long and legitimate list. I won’t go into great detail, but her list included family members who are currently fighting Covid, her mother who has terminal cancer, and also how hard it is to not be able to get together with loved ones. I hate seeing her sad, but the truth is, there are some things that can’t be fixed. So I simply held her hands, kept quiet, and told her that I loved her, to remember that God is in control, and that no matter what we can get through anything together. Always have.

The following day was a Sunday, and I had a really early golf tee time. I hated to leave her alone, but as I kissed my wife goodbye I spotted a soft smile and hoped that she was feeling better. Halfway through my round of golf, I received a text message, which simply said, “The day is beautiful, you are amazing, and I am grateful for both!” All of a sudden I forgot all about the crappy round of golf I was having!

When I got home, I noticed she had taped a note to me on the bathroom mirror. The words were simple, yet powerful, and I will save that note for the rest of my life… for it reminds me that every new day is a gift to be appreciated.


Every new day is a gift from God. 

Every day I will choose to honor Him in being joyful, 

despite any circumstances I cannot control. 

I am grateful for every new day.  

~ Debby Thrailkill, Jan 2, 2022  



No comments:

Post a Comment