Social Icons

Pages

Monday, December 27, 2021

A Present to Appreciate

I appreciate giving and getting presents at Christmas time, but Christmas was tough (again) this year because of Covid. We weren’t able to get together indoors like normal, so we had to drop off presents and then “Facetime” family members as they opened up their gifts. Thank goodness for technology, but at the same time, thank goodness for holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas because, in a way, they are like a special sneak peek at a piece of heaven.

Christmas brings up good memories for me. But if I think back on my life, it’s easy to remember lots of little “heavenly” moments throughout my life that have affixed themselves to the fabric of my being.

- There was this huge storm, but I ignored the rain and drove 9 straight hours to get to a hospital in San Francisco. When I walked in they ushered me to a room where newborn babies are kept, and for the very first time I stared down into the twinkling eyes of a four-day-old baby boy who would later that day become my son.

- I was single and lonely and went on a rare date with a young woman who was on my softball team. We won our Wednesday night game and she suggested we stop by Claim Jumper Restaurant to celebrate. I thought the whole team was coming, but it turned out she only invited me. When I looked into her eyes, something magical happened that night and I fell totally in love with her. When I asked her if I could kiss her, she said, “If you kiss me tonight, you will never stop!” She was right.

- It was just one of those normal evenings at home when I knelt next to my youngest daughter at her bedside. I tucked her in, we said our prayers together, and I kissed her goodnight. Later that evening, when I went back upstairs to check on her, I found her sleeping soundly with the softest smile on her sweet little face. There was something that night about the way she said, “I love you, Dad”, that simply melted my heart and at the same time, made me realize that everything in my life was going to be okay.

There are so many special little moments in time that can stick with you over the years. Each one a unique gift, each one magical, each one memorable.

And that got me thinking… Maybe those precious moments in time are actually just a sneak peek at what heaven will be like. And if that’s true, then maybe heaven isn’t just a future destination to desire, maybe it’s also a present situation to appreciate!


I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year. 

~ Charles Dickens 

A Christmas Carol, 1843



No comments:

Post a Comment