Social Icons

Pages

Monday, December 6, 2021

The Greater Good

I have been struggling lately with a dilemma caused by the pandemic. We seem to have been split into two groups, the vaccinated and the non-vaccinated, and my dilemma is how to keep an open mind and show love and respect to both sides. For full disclosure, let me just say that I have had both shots and the booster and fully support everyone getting the Covid-19 vaccine. There are multiple reasons why I support it, and three of the  reasons were made crystal clear for me two weeks ago on a  Sunday evening.

My wife received a phone call Sunday evening from her father, Tom. He was having heart palpitations, and thought it might be a serious heart issue. He is 80 and has a pacemaker, so my wife told him to stay calm and called 911 immediately. To complicate matters even more, Tom’s wife has late-stage Alzheimer’s and cannot be left alone. Fortunately, upon arriving at their home, we found the ambulance pulling away with Tom, but discovered a paramedic had volunteered to stay with Tom’s wife until we arrived. That was really nice of him, but I saw that he wasn’t wearing a mask. He explained to me he wanted Tom’s wife to be able to see his face, and see him smile, so she would be less scared. That was thoughtful and it drove home a point, Point #1… that front line workers are definitely putting themselves in harm’s way every day by helping people, even those that might give them the Covid virus.

That point was driven home a second time when I arrived at the hospital. My wife stayed with her Mom, while I went to be with Tom and let me tell you, the Emergency Room is never a place you want to be, especially on weekends. It was extremely crowded, and yet I wasn’t allowed to enter unless I could show proof that I was vaccinated. Which brings me to Point #2… I had my vaccine card with me, otherwise I would not have been able to be with a loved one who was hurting and suffering.

I stayed with Tom for hours, doing my best to take his mind off his troubles. I was determined to be there for Tom and silently prayed for him to be okay. My prayers gave me confidence, and so did the outstanding staff at Mission Hospital. There were two doctors and three nurses that worked on Tom. They were fast, they were efficient, and they took great care of Tom despite the constant chaos going on in the Emergency Room and Tom was able to go home, feeling much better, that same evening. Watching all that happen made for Point #3… If I’m vaccinated and still get Covid, it’s likely I won’t end up at a hospital taking up a very needed bed for someone else who might be having a heart attack or some other serious medical issue, not of their own doing.  

I respect people’s right to decide for themselves whether or not to get vaccinated. But that hospital visit was extremely eye opening! Seeing firsthand how hard those doctors and nurses are working made me appreciate them so much more. I’m glad I’m vaccinated and doing my part to stay out of the hospital and I’m glad that my family and most of my friends feel the same way. For my handful of friends that are not vaccinated, you’re still my friend, and I still care very much about you… and that is why I am writing this message pleading with you to reconsider. In other words, please consider the greater good.

For anything worth having one must pay the price; 
and the price is always work, patience, love, 
and self- sacrifice for the greater good.
~ John Burroughs


No comments:

Post a Comment