Social Icons

Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2022

Train Your Brain

One of the nice things about where we live on Beach Road is that the ocean is only 60 feet away. Unfortunately, on the other side of our house there are train tracks that are only about 100 feet away. The sound of the ocean is soothing as the waves constantly roll in. The noise from the freight trains zooming by however, is incredibly frightening and annoying.

For the first month we lived at the beach, my wife and I would wake up in the middle of the night, terrified, because it sounded like a 747 was landing in the living room. Fortunately, the human brain is incredibly adaptable. In fact, scientists at MIT discovered that there are special neurons in the brainstem called “novelty detector neurons” that help us ignore ongoing noise if a sound or sound pattern is repeated. 

These days we never even notice if a train is going by, whether it’s in broad daylight or late at night. That is a definite blessing, but it makes me wonder about all the other “noise” going on in my head every day.

If I can tune out a roaring freight train 100 feet away, why can’t I tune out other things? Like the bad thoughts that pop up in my head when a speeding driver cuts me off. Like the disappointment that builds up when a friend lets me down. Like the frustration that happens at tax time every April. Like the anger I feel when someone tells me I am stupid for wearing a mask during a pandemic. Or like the pain and fear I’ve been feeling lately because so many of my family members have Covid.

I know that bad things are going to happen in life. And after 66 years I also know that I can’t tune them all out. But I can retrain my brain and strive every day to focus on what is good and right and best for myself and those around me. Maybe if I train my brain properly, to focus on love, humility, patience, and gentleness… I can decrease the annoying noise and increase the soothing sounds!


Do not conform yourself to this age, but be transformed by the renewal 

of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, 

what is good and pleasing and perfect.     

~ Romans 12:1-2 



No comments:

Post a Comment