Social Icons

Pages

Monday, March 22, 2021

Vow #8 - I Will Persist Until I Succeed

When I was a struggling young salesperson in my twenties, I worked for a wholesale lighting supply company in Irvine. One Monday morning, the boss gave me the challenge of landing the biggest account in our area. It was a huge property management company that owned apartments, shopping centers, and office buildings. It would be the largest account that we could ever add to our company, but it would also be an extremely difficult challenge.

I knew it would be really hard, but I was young and full of energy and enthusiasm. As I started making sales calls, I was turned down over and over and the business always went to the larger companies in town. But I never gave up and just kept knocking at their door with polite firmness. I figured as long as I kept knocking, I still had a chance. One day, the Purchasing Manager allowed me to meet with him in person for a few minutes, so I gave him my price quote along with my best sales pitch. I left that day with a signed purchase order in my hand and a great compliment, at least I think it was a compliment. The Purchasing Manager said, “I am not giving you business because you have the best pricing. I’m giving it to you because you’re so darn persistent!”

According to the great author Og Mandino, “The prizes of life are at the end of each journey, not near the beginning; and it is not given to us to know how many steps are necessary in order to reach our goals. We may encounter failure after a thousand steps, yet success may be hiding behind the very next bend in the road. We will never know how close it lies unless we turn the corner.”


Always take another step. 

If that doesn’t work, take another, and yet another.

In truth, one step at a time is not too difficult for anyone.



No comments:

Post a Comment