Social Icons

Pages

Monday, October 4, 2021

Time For This One To Come Home

Life is full of surprises, mainly because things are always changing. For example, my wife and I have been renting a home on Beach Road for 10 years now, and have really been happy living here. But unfortunately, our home was just sold, and the new owners are planning to radically increase the rent, which means we will be moving soon. I wonder if we can find a new home that we will be happy with?

When I was 14, I lived with my parents in a nice home in a little town called Fallbrook. They took me to church every Sunday, where the very first seeds of my faith were sown. I was happy there.  

When I was 16, my parents moved to San Francisco. I ended up living in a tiny plywood shack with no electricity, no running water, and no bathroom. To me it was an adventure, and I was happy living there.

When I was 24, I bought my first home. It was in a newly constructed area off El Toro Road, built for low-income people like me, and therefore affordable. It was just a small simple home, with no yard or landscaping, not even a fence. I had to work really hard to fix it up, but I was happy living there.

When I got divorced at 37, I was living in a brand new four-bedroom view home with a pool. I had to sell it at a loss, and move temporarily to one of those extended stay Motels in Irvine. It was just a room, but it was mine, and I was happy there.

When I was 48 and remarried, my loving wife and I built a custom home in Coto de Caza. It was a three-story Tuscan Estate on an acre of land with a gorgeous view. It had four bedrooms, plus an office, a gym, a movie theater room, and a pool with a spa. Needless to say, I was happy there, and so was she.

When I was 56 and our four children were all grown and gone, we decided to downsize. My wife thought it would be fun to rent a house at the beach for a month while we looked for a new home to buy. However, we never made time to look for a new home because we immediately fell in love with the beach. She was right, it has been fun, and I have been really happy here.

At the age of 66, I am used to things changing. While I do not know where I will end up next, and I do not know what my next home will look like, I do know I will always be happy no matter where my home is. Why? I think it’s because I have always known where my final home is going to be!


Drizzle, Drazzle, Druzzle, Drome; time for this one to come home.
~ from the 1960’s Cartoon "Tooter Turtle" 


No comments:

Post a Comment