Social Icons

Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2021

Moments In Time

Being bold is hard. Have you ever been asked to speak in public? Or called on in the classroom to give an answer? Or asked to give a toast at a wedding? Having the courage to speak up in front of others is never easy. But there are times when it is really important to speak up or find some way to share your opinion or an important message that might benefit others.

That is in essence the purpose of my Monday Messages, to relate an inspiring message without sounding like I am preaching. But it’s very difficult at times. I want to inspire people to think about the important things in life, yet I am not a pastor, and therefore not qualified to preach. I have however, lived a life made incredibly amazing by my faith. So how do I boldly share my faith with my wife, my family, my friends, and even strangers… without turning them off? The answer isn’t that difficult!

This weekend, my wife and I went wine tasting in Temecula. My youngest daughter’s birthday is today, and my wife’s birthday is tomorrow. So we wanted to spend time this weekend, with both of our daughters and their husbands, celebrating birthdays. Six of us got together (with me as the designated driver - bummer dude!) and visited several wineries off of Rancho California Road. At the first stop, Miramonte Vineyards, we were seated on couches in a really classy private Cabana with a table filled with charcuterie and excellent wine flights. Before we tasted anything, my wife handed me a piece of paper and asked the group if “Dad” could read something before we started. What she handed me was an inspiring parable about the importance of all the unique passengers we meet as we “ride through the different train stations of life”. We didn’t realize the waitress was listening nearby, but afterwards, she commented that she admired a family that started their wine tasting with an inspiring parable!

Our second stop was at Doffo Vineyards, which was a very different vibe. More of a biker gang hangout, with dozens of antique motorcycles on display. After the heavily tattooed waitress approached our table and took our order, she asked me a question. “What does the I Am Second on your bracelet mean?” She laughed and said, “Does it mean You Are Second to None?” I laughed and said, “No. It’s a reminder that I should always consider myself second to God, and put Him first.” She smiled thoughtfully… and said, “I like that!”

There were a couple of unique moments in time this weekend, where I didn’t stand up in front of a crowd and I didn’t preach either. Or just maybe I did!


Faith makes things possible, not easy.

~ Anonymous 


No comments:

Post a Comment