Social Icons

Pages

Monday, August 30, 2021

For A Good Reason

Somebody said to me the other day, “Well, you know, things always happen for a reason”. That saying bothers me because it seems like it’s missing an adjective. Shouldn’t it be, “Things always happen for a good reason” or “Things always happen for a bad reason” or how about “for no reason at all”?

I’m not sure what the proper saying should be. But his comment got me thinking about the strangers I meet, who sometimes become valuable friends.

Two years ago, I gave up playing baseball and the worst part was losing connection with so many good friends. I decided to switch to golf, which is a little easier on the body, and is also a good way to make new friends. A few months later, when Covid first started, I remember signing up for an early tee time on a Wednesday morning, hoping to get paired up with somebody fun. When I arrived, I found out I was paired up with three people, and to my surprise one of them was the shortstop from my baseball team! I have always admired Scott for his baseball skills, friendly competitiveness, and unwavering willingness to help others. The other two people were Scott’s wife and a stranger named Dave.

That round of golf changed my life for the better during what seemed like a very dark time. We all enjoyed it so much, we decided to make it a regular weekly event, and we’ve been playing together ever since. It has given me something to look forward to each week and it has given me a new friend!

I didn’t know Dave before that day, but for some reason after one round of golf, I felt like I had known him my whole life. He turned out to be a fantastic golfer, despite being close to 70, but an even better human being. I have never met someone so positive and supportive to everyone around them. Whenever I hit a good shot, Dave is the loudest cheerleader on the course. Whenever I hit a bad shot, which is quite often, Dave is still my biggest fan picking up my spirits and reminding how fun the game can be. Dave is a retired Veterinarian, with an amazing intellect, a quick wit, an awesome sense of humor, and a generous spirit. In fact, just this past week, after finding out about my Monday Message Blog, Dave went out of his way to do something nice for me. He bought me a book called, “Light from many Lamps”, a treasury of inspirational stories with selected wisdom of the ages. How apropos, I mean what could be more perfect for a former light bulb salesman turned philosopher, then a book like that!

I mentioned above that I’m not sure what the proper wording for that old saying should be. But after meeting Dave, I’m absolutely positive that some things really do happen for a good reason!


To find happiness, we must seek for it in a focus outside ourselves.
~ W. Beran Wolfe
   (from the book “Light from many Lamps"



No comments:

Post a Comment