Social Icons

Pages

Monday, August 16, 2021

Presenting Me - Curated Content at 60 (By Debby Thrailkill)

To “Curate” is to select, organize and present, much like wine is made. “Content” has several meanings: As a noun, it means “substance within, distinct in its form and style”. As an adjective, it means “state of peaceful happiness, satisfied with a certain level of achievement, good fortune, and not wishing for more”.

Certain milestones in life cause us to take stock of ourselves. As my 60th birthday month approaches, I’ve been thinking about my level of content with my life to date.

Like grapes from California’s wine country, I have been greatly influenced by the ground beneath me. Sunny and easy-going California days from the 1960s through today have enabled me to have a positive outlook, an easy smile, and a generous spirit. My loving Mom and good friends have taught me faith in God, my most valued gift. My Dad taught me to do what was right. Success in the community at work, and in charity, has built confidence. My amazing husband has been my rock and encouraged me to reach deeper, to improve with age. Joe has loved me infinitely. Substance has come from challenges, including loss, divorce, parenting, navigating relationships, and health concerns; and I’m fine-tuning style with a sense of awareness as opportunities present.

With wine, it’s substance and clarity are judged by tilting a glass sideways over a white surface, so as to fully assess its depth of character. The last two years have been my biggest challenge, and I felt tilted! I focused on family, doing what was right, and helping others as much as possible. Regarding substance, I am content, always leaving room for improvement.

As far as clarity, as my friend, artist Hyatt Moore, puts it, I want to be “of God” as much as possible. In everything I do, I pray to be surrounded by others who strive to be of Him. With that I will be at peace and satisfied, with my curated content.

Next month I will be celebrating my birthday in California’s wine country with those I hold dear. We will taste wines, eat charcuterie, and laugh into the late hours. It will be a state of peaceful happiness, my good fortune, and I couldn’t wish for more!


So shines a good deed in a weary world. 

 ~ Willy Wonka  




No comments:

Post a Comment