Social Icons

Pages

Monday, May 24, 2021

Last week’s Monday Message talked about living near the water and worrying about being financially underwater as it relates to giving money to our kids. But the main question in the story was, “What do our young people truly need from us?” And after a lot of thought, perhaps the answer lies in the water!

A couple of weeks I received a phone call from my oldest daughter. She said that two of her children, Jack and Andie, were going to be baptized on Sunday. I loved hearing that two of my grandchildren, who are teenagers, were making such an important decision. She then said that Jack wanted to speak with me. When Jack got on the phone he asked, “Grandpa Joe, will you be the one that goes in the water with me?” Apparently, when children are being baptized the Pastor stands to one side and a family member helps to lower the child into the water while a blessing is given.

I told young Jack that it would be an honor to be involved in his baptism, but in the back of my mind I was surprised that he asked me. I mean, I’m just an “old dude” who is probably not cool at all to a young teenager. But then again, I do spend a lot of time with my kids and grandkids, and I do try to set a good example for them. And besides “Dumb Dad Jokes” I do try to pass along some wisdom now and then.

And that got me thinking… I have lived an amazing life filled with love, hope, adventure, excitement, and challenges beyond my imagination. I’ve made lots of mistakes, but I’ve learned lots of lessons. And through it all, the one lesson that stands out the most is that as long as I have faith in God, I will have happiness and joy in my life. So if I want to help my children and grandchildren find happiness in their lives, it won’t matter if I am financially underwater. It only matters if I am willing to go under water with them.   

Children are 25% of our population but 100% of our future.
~ Robert Brault


No comments:

Post a Comment