Social Icons

Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Downside Up (from May 16th, 2011)

Do you ever feel like everything is going wrong and it’s never going to get better? I know I have, especially the last three years with our down economy and so many friends out of work. I thought by the time I reached my fifties I would have it made and not have to work so hard or stress out so much, but the truth is I am working harder than ever and making less money. Plus I’ve got some gray hair creeping in and weird medical problems, so it’s easy to get down and think things will never get better. 

But recently something happened that reminded me there is an “upside” to every “downside”.  As many of you know, my wife is on the Board of Directors for the South County Outreach and there are many people who work there volunteering their time to help needy families. One woman in particular (call her Mary) has worked there for free for many years despite not having much money of her own. Mary lives in a small place with her Mom nearby and not long ago she suffered a stroke but recovered and despite some physical limitations, is still volunteering her time every week to help others in need.

Last week a stranger came to the South County Outreach and dropped off an envelope for Mary. The stranger asked to remain anonymous but apparently represented an organization that does random acts of kindness for deserving people. Inside the envelope was a cashier’s check made out to Mary for $5,000.00. There was only one stipulation with the money, that Mary keep it and not donate it to the charity where she works. Apparently they had done their homework on Mary and knew she would be inclined to immediately help others rather than herself, but they also knew she needed money for some hefty medical bills. I only wish I could have been there to see Mary’s face because my wife said it was an incredible moment she will never forget.

And that got me thinking……The Bible says that when God created man, He created him in his own image. To me that verse means that if God is a loving and compassionate being, which I believe He is, then men and women were created to be loving and compassionate beings. And what I have noticed is that when times are tough, we really don’t have to look far to see people helping people. Be thankful for the downside times because it truly gives us a chance to show our upside!



No comments:

Post a Comment