Social Icons

Pages

Monday, December 14, 2020

Binge Love (By Debby Thrailkill)

Part of our coping strategy during 2020 has been to binge watch new television shows on Netflix as suggested by our 30 something family members. So far, we’ve watched The Marvelous Ms. Maisel (a dream escape), Downton Abbey (glorious in character), Fleabag (eye opening humor) Schitt’s Creek (hilarious and heartfelt), and lately we’ve been watching Grace and Frankie and I’m absolutely mesmerized.

Grace and Frankie (Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin) are unceremoniously dumped by their long-time husbands in the first episode. Their husbands who are business partners have fallen in love with each other over the years and have determined they are gay. This throws Grace and Frankie into a tailspin together… but together they weather the storm.

What has touched me the most in these fictional characters is how Frankie is so free spirited and artistic, a mother with a loving soul. I want to be more like Frankie in 2021 and beyond. Currently I see a lot of myself in Grace, but what I see in Frankie truly inspires me. While Grace and her husband fought after the disclosure, Frankie and her soon to be ex-husband Sol, held each other close, embracing the moment together. Frankie is passionate, forgiving, and creative, sometimes with wild disregard for common sense. Her love and passion are what endear her to the audience.

Frankie demonstrates the essence of someone living in the moment, loving those around her in spite of their faults, and always seeing the positive of that. Frankie gets more out of life because she sees more than what is obvious. She thinks deeper and she feels stronger. Every character in the show is drawn to Frankie because she is interesting and spontaneous and funny. And mostly because she is real.

And that got me thinking… From now on, I want to be as “in the moment” as possible. I want to notice what others may not see and I want to appreciate it, out loud! I want to love others like no one else has, and hope that my loved ones will feel the strength of that love and know that they can depend on my love. What matters most in life is how you treat others, so let’s “binge love” each other… and perhaps together we can weather any storm!


If there is a day to act on the love in your soul, 
it is today, it is this moment.
~ Mike Dolan


No comments:

Post a Comment