Social Icons

Pages

Monday, December 7, 2020

Beautiful Noise

I made a serious mistake Saturday night. Right before I went to sleep, I watched the news. Oh my gosh, I shouldn’t have done that! It was so depressing. More virus infections than ever, more people out of work than ever, more deaths than ever before. Doctors and nurses stretched beyond belief. Made it so hard to go to sleep.

When I woke up Sunday morning, it was really early and the sun wasn’t up yet, but the waves sure were. The ocean was making its presence known. The waves were absolutely pounding the shore, over and over again, crashing and banging, never ending, sometimes crazy loud, sometimes so powerful they made our house shake (I know, hard to believe, but we’re on the second story and the house really does rock and roll at times.) I laid there listening to a noise that was frightening at times… and yet absolutely beautiful in its own right.

Later that day, my wife and I went for a long bike ride up and down Beach Road. She told me how she wanted to give away some money before the end of the year. I figured she meant shopping at Nordstroms, but what she actually meant was doing something to help others in need. Duh! I listened to her thoughts and ideas and she told me some stories, like how our Pastor has an elderly friend who lost her husband and had to move into a trailer with a stranger. She said there are hundreds of hardship stories out there right now and I guess her point was… if we can help even one of those people in need, it will be a great way to finish out the year, a year that has been harder than we could have ever imagined.

And that got me thinking… There are only 21 days left in this F#^!@*ing year of 2020. How are we going to spend those final days? What if... What if we found someone worse off than ourselves and gave them a helping hand? What if we finished the year out with a crash and a bang, just like those crazy waves crashing on the beach by my house. What if we finished out the year by making some beautiful noise? Trust me, it wouldn’t be a mistake!  


A problem is always… a chance for you to do your best!
~ Duke Ellington


No comments:

Post a Comment