Social Icons

Pages

Monday, October 26, 2020

Take Dead Aim - Part Two

Last week I wrote a story about an old-time golf coach, Harvey Penick, and how his best golf tip was to always take dead aim. I mentioned how Harvey’s advice will help your golf game, and how staying focused can also help you in the game of life. So I guess we should always be super focused on our goals… or should we?

The business world is extremely competitive, even more so now due to the restrictions caused by the Coronavirus. Fortunately for me, one of the services I provide in my company is to inspect parking lot light poles and that’s something I can do without having to be around other people. I work totally alone, but I still have to work fast and do a good job, or my customers will hire a different inspection company.

So over the past two years I’ve developed a very efficient methodology to my inspection process. My paperwork is streamlined, my tools are top of the line, and once I get started, I usually get into a pretty intense and highly focused rhythm. There are eight steps I have to perform at each pole location, so I try not to get distracted because if I miss even just one step, it can really slow me down.

Last week I was on a job that was not only far away, it was a really difficult project. The unique design of the light poles was making it hard for me to do my inspection work and I was getting frustrated at falling behind. Not to mention, the temperature was over 100 degrees that day! As I started working on Pole #15 (when I should have already been on Pole #25), I heard a crash of glass behind me. I turned around and saw an elderly woman standing next to the trunk of her car looking really upset. I could tell right away what happened. There was a huge pile of colorful broken glass on the ground near her car and the poor old lady looked like she was going to cry.

I had two choices. A) I could stay focused on my work or B) I could stop working and go help the elderly woman by sweeping up the broken glass. I admit I hesitated for a moment, but the look of despair on that lady’s face was too much for me. I chose B, grabbed a broom out of my truck and swept up the mess. The lady thanked me profusely, saying she really appreciated my help, and I’m pretty sure she was smiling behind her mask. As I walked away, I was smiling behind my own mask too, because I realized something. The most important part about being focused, is being focused on doing the right thing!

Don’t get so busy accomplishing your agenda 

that you miss the opportunity to surrender… and serve.

~ Max Lucado



No comments:

Post a Comment