Social Icons

Pages

Monday, October 12, 2020

Advice From an Old Man

I was listening to a radio talk show this week and something the host said caught my attention. She asked her audience to share the most important advice they heard while growing up.

I thought that question was interesting because many times as a young man, I found myself making the stupid decision to learn things the hard way. Which basically means I didn’t pay attention to the good advice my parents and other intelligent older people were constantly bestowing upon me. My Dad was a good man, honest, hard working and well respected. So why would I ever ignore his advice? Why is it we human beings have to learn things the hard way before we finally get it? Sadly, I don’t have the answer to that question.

However, ironically here I am now, a successful business owner, father of four, grandfather of six, and a man with a wealth of life experience. But do you think my kids or grandkids want my advice? Probably not. But just in case they might be reading this…. Here are a few of the more obscure life lessons I wish someone would have shared with me many years ago. 

  • If you borrow something more than twice, buy one for yourself.
  • Don’t get caught glancing at your watch when you’re talking to someone.
  • Make it a habit to do nice things for people who will never find out.
  • Remember that bad luck as well as good luck seldom lasts long.
  • Give people a second chance, but never a third.
  • Be a good winner and a good loser.
  • Marry only for love. 

And my personal favorite… Don’t be afraid to share good advice, you never know when someone might actually be listening!

Good advice is something a man gives

when he is too old to set a bad example.
~ Francois de La Rochefoucauld


No comments:

Post a Comment