Social Icons

Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Reflections

For the past two weeks I have been going on an early morning bike ride to warm up my back before I do stretches. I really enjoy riding my bike because it’s about the only time my back doesn’t hurt. But I also enjoy it because sometimes I see things in the early dawn that both amaze and inspire me!

Even though I was pumping the pedals pretty hard this past Friday morning, a reflection caught my eye. I was riding north on Beach Road where I live and close by it, about 30’ to the east, is a set of train tracks. Just beyond that is busy Pacific Coast Highway. Surprisingly, halfway in between the train tracks and PCH, was a bicycle on the ground with a reflector in its rear wheel bouncing sunlight directly into my eyes.

I wondered what a bicycle was doing in such a precarious location, but the bicycle wasn’t alone. All around it were small plastic bags filled with mystery items, and next to the bike was a blanket with what appeared to be a man sleeping on it. I cannot think of a more dangerous place to “camp” for the evening. How could anyone sleep with trains 15’ to your left roaring by and cars whizzing by only 15’ away to the right? And did I mention the area is nothing but rocks and gravel?

At first I thought maybe the man had gotten off course in the dark and crashed his bike, landing in between the tracks and the highway. But as I surveyed the situation, it was obvious that this person had selected his “campsite” and was cozy in this crazy location. When I yelled out, “Hey are you okay?”, the man sat straight up and then turned around and looked at me like I was crazy for asking. He then proceeded to open up what looked like a can of food and began his normal breakfast routine.

As I pedaled back home I found myself going slow and thinking about what I had just witnessed. It reminded me how fortunate I am to have a roof over my head and a brain that works well enough (most of the time) to allow me to be able to provide for my family. It also got me thinking about how each and everyone one of us is… in one way or another… assigned a role by God. And how we perform that role is a reflection of God. Maybe the bicycle man was simply fulfilling his role?

I remember reading in the Bible the story of Jesus healing a blind man. Back then people thought when a person was blind it was because he did something wrong. But the truth is it was simply the role he was assigned. I doubt he would have picked being blind, in fact I can picture it this way. God says, “Einstein, you’re going to be a genius who shares his insight. David Robinson, you’re going to be a great NBA player who boldly shares his faith. Joe, you’re going to be a light bulb salesman who likes to share stories. And then God turns to Bob and says, “Bob, you’re going to be blind for my glory.”  Bob says, “I’ll be blind?” God says, “Yes.” Bob says, “For your glory?” God says, “Yes.” Bob says, “But, I don’t understand.” God says… “You’ll see!”

It may not seem like the role we are given is important, but if we can reflect God’s glory even just a little bit, at some point we may hear six very cool words. “Well done, good and faithful servant!”

With God in your world, you aren’t an accident or an incident. 
You are a gift to the world, a divine work of art, signed by God. 
~ Max Lucado 

No comments:

Post a Comment