Social Icons

Pages

Monday, September 29, 2014

Bucket Lists

I’ve always been a person who enjoys setting goals and that’s probably because I’m extremely competitive and love to challenge myself. However, I’ve noticed my current “bucket list” varies greatly from the goals and dreams I had as a young man. The more I thought about it, the more intriguing it became. What goals have I truly accomplished in my life? What crazy things have I been lucky enough to experience? And what would I still like to achieve?

So I decided to write out two “bucket lists”. One list would contain the goals and dreams I was lucky enough to make happen so far….and the other list would contain dreams yet to come!

BUCKET LIST   -  DONE
BUCKET LIST   -   YET TO DO!
Read The Bible Cover to Cover (Twice so Far)
Fly an Airplane
Adopted an Hispanic Baby
Be on TV Show "Survivor"
Married the Woman of My Dreams
Ski a Black Diamond Ski Run
Drove a Race Car (NASCAR) at over 150mph
Write a Novel
Played Baseball at Angel Stadium 
Run with the Bulls in Pamplona
Installed a 33' Two-Ton Cross on a Mountaintop
Skydive out of An Airplane
Gave a Motivational Speech to over 1000 people
Ride a Motorcycle to Cabo
Built and Sold a Multi-Million Dollar Business
Make a Hole in One in Golf
Built My Own Home (and lived it in for 10 years)
Hit a Home Run in Baseball
Modeled Underwear on a Runway at a Fashion Show
Travel to Australia
Played Guitar in a Garage Rock Band
Learn How To Dance
Maintained a Friendship for over Forty Years
Kite Surf in Kauai
Kissed a Supermodel (Cheryl Tiegs)
Understand The Bible
 
When I finished making the two lists, I had to laugh about some of the stuff on the “Done List”, like “Kissing a Supermodel”. But you know - when you’re young your goals can be a little shallow.

However, I also noticed that the first goal on my “Done List” was to Read the Bible and the last goal on my “Yet To Do List” is to Understand the Bible. I’m glad I’ve read the Bible but I admit I still don’t understand a lot of it and maybe never will. But isn’t that the point of having a goal. You strive towards it every day, doing your best, and if you don’t get there - you get up the next day and try again - and it’s in the trying that we find out who we really are. I may not understand the Bible but I definitely understand the importance of making it one of my goals!

But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining towards what is ahead,
 press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
                                                                                ~ Philippians 3:14                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment