Social Icons

Pages

Monday, September 8, 2014

Little Red

Last week there were huge waves pounding the beaches all up and down the Southern California Coast. Since my wife and I live in a small beach house on the sand in Capo Beach, we had a first hand glimpse of the beauty and power of Mother Nature. In fact, the waves in front of our home were larger than any we have ever seen and although we rarely ever see surfers near our home, for several days there were dozens of surfers riding waves from sunup to sundown. These were not your average surfers because these were not your average waves and the stormy seas with huge swells made it extremely dangerous.

Early Thursday morning as I got ready for work I couldn’t help glancing out the window. There were at least 10 surfers catching long rides and flying off the top of 10’ waves, soaring through the air, and screaming in exhilaration as they hit the water. It was a great show and really something to watch. Within minutes several more surfers showed up, all of them appearing to be in their early twenties, all of them expert surfers.

I took a moment to walk outside and watch the show from my patio. As I stepped out of the house I noticed a young boy, not more than 12 years old, running up the beach with his surfboard. He was obviously excited and in a hurry to get out there and join the “big boys” on the big waves. He was wearing an all red wetsuit and carrying a very short but colorful surfboard. He stared at the waves for a few minutes and then took off paddling furiously to get through the rough break…but he didn’t make it. The huge waves pounded the little guy back onto the shore. He waited for the right break in the swells and then took off again, paddling hard, but again the waves pounded his little frame right back to the shore.

At that point I felt sorry for the little guy and scared for his safety at the same time. In my mind I nicknamed him “Little Red” and wished he would quit and go home before he got seriously hurt. But he decided to try one more time and once again the waves mercilessly crushed him and pounded him back to the shore. He collapsed on the sand looking exhausted but at least he was okay. About 10 minutes went by and I realized I had better get going, but just when I was ready to walk inside, Little Red took off into the waves a fourth time. This time I found myself routing for him. “Come on Little Red… you can make it!” And darn if he didn’t crest a giant wave and make it out there with the big boys! I know it sounds silly but I felt proud of him. Even though I don’t even know him, I do know what he is all about - courage and perseverance - and it was inspiring to watch.

As I drove to work I thought about all the tough times in my life and how often it seems like life “pounded me back to the shore” over and over again. I remember the times I quit and how bad I felt inside. But I also remember the times I persevered and eventually overcame so many tough obstacles. Little Red reminded me that we will always have challenges in life, but we cannot fail if we never quit!

With ordinary talent and extraordinary
perseverance all things are attainable.
~Thomas Foxwell Buxton 

No comments:

Post a Comment