Social Icons

Pages

Monday, October 10, 2022

Picture This

I saw something yesterday that really bothered me. It was truly heartbreaking, and I knew it wasn’t my fault, and I knew I couldn’t fix it… so after a lot of thought, I decided to turn it over to someone else.

Yesterday morning my youngest son and I drove all the way out to San Jacinto to do an Ultrasonic Pole Inspection at a large retail shopping center. This particular shopping center was basically in the middle of nowhere and there were no homes nearby, but I’m sure it was important to the people in the surrounding area because by 8:00am the parking lot was already filling up.

Around 10:00am I was approaching the far north end of the complex when I spotted a body. It was a shocking sight because it looked like a person had fallen over backwards and hit their head on the concrete. He wasn’t moving at all, but there was a shopping cart nearby with some odd stuff piled in it. My son said, “Dad, that sure is a sad sight.” I agreed, knowing it could be a passed out homeless person. But I couldn’t bring myself to walk away because he looked injured. However, when I got close to him I saw his head move, so at least I could tell he was breathing. My son asked me what we should do, and I really wasn’t sure if there was anything we could do. But fortunately, as we moved on to continue our work, I noticed a firetruck on it way with its lights flashing.

The truck pulled right up next to the sidewalk where the young man was lying. The firemen got out quickly, but instead of checking out the “dead man” on the sidewalk, they hustled over to Kolsa’s Donuts instead. That bothered me a lot too! Maybe he’s just a drunk, or an addict, but whoever he is, he’s still a human being in distress. All the way home I kept picturing that poor young man lying on the hot concrete. I know it’s not my fault, and there’s probably nothing I can do to fix it. But as I turned into my driveway to walk into my nicely furnished, air-conditioned home, filled with plenty of good food, and people that love me, I gave it to God. Sometimes He is the only one who has the answer… and the other nice thing is that He always has the answers!

I still had that picture in my head when my daughter arrived at our house with her newborn baby girl. Our new granddaughter sure is super cute and smiley, but she is also a newborn with not a care in the world. Looking at her laying on her back with her hands behind her head, dreaming her baby girl dreams, somehow took away all my anxiety. I don’t know what God will do about that young man on the concrete, but I do know what He did for me. He gave me a much better picture in my head and a reminder that with every new child born, there is the promise of a better world!


Life is a flame that is always burning itself out; 
but it catches fire again every time a child is born.
~ Bernard Shaw


No comments:

Post a Comment