Social Icons

Pages

Monday, June 13, 2022

Nobody Gets Hurt

Father’s Day is coming up and it reminds me of all the wonderful times my Dad and I spent together when he was alive. He’s been gone for over 20 years now, but his words and his insightful life lessons still live on in me today. Especially the one about how we should always strive to help others, not hurt others, if we want to live a meaningful life.

I remember one time when my Dad came to the High School to pick me up after a track meet. I was just a starry-eyed freshman and extremely intimidated by the older guys at school, especially the better athletes. After the track meet was over, one of the seniors on the varsity track team was berating my teammates and I on the JV team because we lost. He called one of my friends a loser and shoved him to the ground. It shocked me and without thinking I slugged the guy and we got into quite a brawl. I was scared to get into a fight, so scared I think my legs were shaking, and I was pretty sure I was going to die. But I was so angry about my friend getting hurt, that I fought as hard as I could. I didn’t win that fight, but I didn’t really lose either because when the word got out at school that I didn’t back down to a senior, the older guys pretty much left me alone from then on.

But the funny thing is, I felt really bad about getting into a fight and especially for intentionally trying to hurt another human being. It bothered me so much I decided to tell my Dad about it right away. On the car ride home he listened quietly and stayed quiet for a long time. I figured he was mad at me and that made me feel even worse. But as we parked in our driveway, he finally spoke up. I don’t remember his exact words, but in a stern voice he said something like, “Joseph, you should absolutely never put your hands on another person - unless you are defending yourself or someone else. There will be times when you are tested, times when other people try to hurt you, but remember that your words are your most powerful weapon, so use them first and your fists second.”

Later that evening, I asked my Dad if he was still angry with me, and he didn’t really answer me. Instead he gave me some more advice. He told me that there are two types of people in this world, those that lead and those that follow. If you go through life scared and simply follow what everyone else does, your life won’t have much meaning, and trust me… you’re going to get hurt. But if you have the courage to do what you know is right, you will become a true leader, who will then inspire others to do the same, and that means nobody gets hurt!


Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth. 

~ Muhammad Ali 



No comments:

Post a Comment