Social Icons

Pages

Monday, November 22, 2021

Unwrapped Presents

Yesterday, I wrote a really serious Monday Message about the divisiveness created by the pandemic. However, when my wife read it, she said that although it was an important message, well done and very dynamic, it should wait. This is not the week to create a stir, this is the week to be stirring in the kitchen, creating a wonderful meal for family members and friends. A week to be thankful for all the things that the pandemic has not stolen from us.

I thought about what she said, and as usual she was right. However, thinking about my life right now, it feels like there are so many bad things going on. I have five family members with health issues and a 50-year-old cousin who just passed away leaving her two teenage boys without a mom. I have a friend battling stomach cancer and another friend who was killed in a car wreck in Mexico last week. The sad thing is, I know I’m not alone because everyone has problems. But here’s a good thought… everyone has something to be thankful for as well! Obviously if you are reading this you are still alive, so at least you’ve got that going for you! So if you are still breathing, maybe it’s a good time to count your blessings and also count out those who make a positive difference in your life. Start with your spouse, your children, or your best friend. That’s easy, but what about the others….the other people in this world that make your life easier… but yet are so easy to take for granted?

I challenge you to create a “Thankful List”. Write down a short list of just 3 people in your life that you would normally tend to overlook. Write their name down and then write them a note explaining why you are thankful they are part of your life. Then mail it to them. You should expect nothing in return. But my guess is that you will be surprised at the impact your words of gratitude will have on the unsuspecting people who find out that they have touched your life in a positive way!

As I wrote out my “Thankful List” (see list on next page) it got me thinking… I know inside I have always felt grateful for the good people that I come across in my daily life, but I just haven’t taken time to do anything about it. I guess feeling gratitude and not making the effort to express it is kind of like going to the trouble to buy someone a present…but then never wrapping  it!


Happiness is the spiritual experience of

                                          living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude.                                                                                 ~ Dennis Waitley




“WRAPPED PRESENTS”


Dear Scott and Rhonda, (Our Friends)

Thank you so much for allowing my wife to swim so many times in your backyard pool this past summer. She loves to swim but with our Fitness Center shut down, and with Covid going on and with her having immunity issues, she been pretty much “locked up” at home for the past 19 months. So your generous offer of allowing her to swim in your big, beautiful pool has done wonders for her health and happiness!

 Dear Don, (Our Pastor)

Thank you for continuing to pastor the Church despite the restrictions created by the pandemic. I know it must be really hard on you to have to prepare your Sunday sermons and only be allowed to present them via computer, instead of in person. But I want you to know that my wife and I enjoy your messages very much and often share what we learn with others. Your church may seem smaller to you these days, but I assure you that your messages reach far wider, and do more good, than you will ever know!

 

Dear Tim, (Our former Landlord)

My wife and I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for the past eight years that you were our landlord. Renting your beautiful beach house was a slice of heaven for us and having a caring person like you as our landlord was a real blessing. If something went wrong, we always knew we could count on you, and we appreciate how you went out of your way to keep us posted when there was dangerous high surf or other important issues happening on Beach Road. We miss you and your lovely wife and hope that you are enjoying your retirement now that your beach house has been sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment