Social Icons

Pages

Monday, November 1, 2021

The Greater Gift

Inspiration can come in many forms. But when we are truly inspired by the words or deeds of others, it can often be life changing. I pondered that thought Saturday morning as I struggled to think of a good birthday gift to give my 15-year-old grandson who was born on Halloween.

When I was a struggling salesperson at 21, I was given the gift of a book called, “The Greatest Salesman in the World”. That book was a huge inspiration to me, teaching me that honesty and integrity should be the core values of my life. By age 23, I was the top salesman in the company.

Although I had a successful business of my own by the age of 32, I knew something was still missing from my life. Then I heard an ad on the radio asking for volunteers to install a Cross on top of historic Battle Mountain in San Diego. Taking on that project and hiking up that mountain over and over again for 6 months, not only increased my physical strength, it strengthened my spiritual side as well. The inspiration provided by that beautiful Cross, an awesome gift from God, still guides me in my faith today.

At 39, I married the love of my life who gave me a wedding gift that I will forever appreciate. The gift she gave me was teaching me the value of focusing on others while putting myself second. She was only 33 at the time, but within just a few short years, she took a small struggling charity and built it into a multi-million-dollar agency feeding thousands of hungry families every month. Her gift of selflessness to others inspired me then, and continues to inspire me now.

Looking back at all the things that provided major inspiration in my life, I realize one of the very first events happened when I was too was 15 years old. I desperately wanted to figure out a way to get a car by the time I turned 16. So I asked my Dad about it, but he couldn’t afford to help me financially. However, he did find a way to help me. He sat me down and explained to me that the secret to getting anything you wanted in life involved only two words… hard work!

Remembering that life lesson gift my Dad gave me got me thinking. And suddenly, I knew exactly what I should give my grandson for his birthday… a gift far greater than anything money can buy!


All of our dreams can come true 
if we simply have the courage to pursue them.
~ Walt Disney

        P.S. If you are curious about what it was I gave my grandson, read the letter attached.


Dear Jack.

Happy 15th Birthday!

I would like to give you something special for your birthday, an envelope. Inside it is a small amount of money… mixed with a large amount of inspiration!

When I was 15 years old, I started dreaming about having my own truck someday and all the freedom that goes with driving. So I went to my Dad and asked him if he would help me buy a truck when I got to be 16. He said he couldn’t afford it.

My Dad was in the Marine Corps, and they aren’t paid that much. But two days later he came to me and apologized and said, “Son, I can’t really help you financially, but I can do two things for you. Here is an envelope that says, “Joe’s Truck” on the outside and inside is a $20 bill.” (At that time, $20 was a lot of money.) My Dad went on to say, “I talked to our neighbor, the rancher named Jack, and asked him if he needed any help on his ranch during the summer. He said yes, so if you go talk to him and impress him, he might give you a part time job. That way you can start adding more money to this envelope every week. Who knows, maybe within a year, if you work hard and keep looking for part time jobs, you might have enough money in that envelope to buy yourself a used truck!”

I worked on Jack’s Ranch all summer making $1.25 an hour, plus I took on other part time jobs after school, like working at a gas station. By the time I turned 16, I had exactly $300 in that envelope. So I checked the newspapers, and found a 1960 Chevy Truck for only $350.00. My Dad said we should go check it out and maybe the guy would come down on the price.

We went to see the truck and it was just an old white Pick Up, but I fell in love with it. When I asked the guy if he would go down to $300, he said no. My Dad then told the guy how hard I had worked the past year to raise my own money and the guy thought about it. Then he changed his mind and said, “I will go down to $320.00. That’s it. Take it or leave it!” My Dad saw the sad look in my face, broke out his wallet and counted out $19 in bills, plus $1 in quarters from his pocket… and I drove away smiling like I had just won the lottery.

I took great care of that truck because I understood how hard it was to make the money to buy it. It was my “first love” but it was also the first real inspiration that sparked my work ethic, and that inspiration went on to guide me to a very successful work life and career.

I hope this story inspires you to work hard and have a good successful life of your own!

Love you,

 

Grandpa Joe



No comments:

Post a Comment