Social Icons

Pages

Monday, July 12, 2021

A Treasure to Others

I admit I enjoy texting with friends and family and readily take advantage of the benefits of sending a quick text. Texting allows ongoing communication throughout the week, a seemingly unbroken bond of written words, keeping connections without bother or intrusion. It seems the under 40 crowd especially values the time saved and ease of texting to share messages without having to take a lot of time to do so. As was true when email was invented, more can be accomplished in less time, and with less stress.

However, I believe the spoken word is crucial to our overall wellbeing. We were made to speak out loud, in times of trouble or danger, in times of fun and love, and when it comes to forming relationships of all kinds. The spoken word helps us to clearly convey our thoughts and ideas to our loved ones and friends. The brain is wired to speak, and doing so often is important to brain health and emotional health. Will our brain health decline as text messaging (or the inevitable improvement) gradually cause us not to speak as much as people did 100 years ago?

I hope not because never has the spoken word seemed more important to me than right now. Yesterday, I lovingly embraced my mom because she is losing her ability to speak due to advanced Alzheimer’s. We basically communicate through facial expressions and touch because she is losing the ability to bring words forward, to speak. It is heartbreaking, and yet sometimes she can still say “I love you” when I hug her close. Those are words that are so natural and embedded in her that she is still able to recall them at important times.

Some of the most significant moments in life involve words spoken out loud; words that are heard and with them generate feelings of love, being needed, and being appreciated.  Words that mark special occasions and everyday moments of joy. On the other end of the spectrum, my nephew Dylan is turning two and there is much joy in hearing his newfound words. And oh, how I love hearing any words spoken in my Moms own voice right now. Before you send your next text, remember that your spoken words are a treasure to others. Use them today with regularity, use them with a sense of celebration, and enjoy the luxury of being able to do so.

My Mom

No matter where we come from, there is one language 
we can all speak and understand from birth, 
the language of the heart, the language of love.
                  ~ Imania Margria


No comments:

Post a Comment