Social Icons

Pages

Monday, January 25, 2021

Primary Connection

Remember the story of the explorer Ponce de Leon. He went searching for the fountain of youth but of course never found it. I kind of wish he did, because at 65 I’m definitely at the dawning of old age.

I hate to admit it, but I’ve been trying harder and harder to avoid old age. I exercise all the time, still lift weights, ride my bike 4 to 5 times a week and golf every chance I get. But unfortunately, the clock keeps ticking and my body keeps growing older. Everything hurts when I wake up, and what doesn’t hurt doesn’t work. At this point I take about 10 pills a day including supplements and baby aspirin, but the truth is… the hardest pill to swallow is growing old.

The worst thing of all is that my vision keeps getting worse. I wore contact lenses as a kid and then had Lasik surgery at 40, which worked great up until last year. But now the eye doctor (actually she’s a fancy neuro-ophthalmologist), says I can’t have Lasik again due to some stupid issue with damage to my optic nerves. So I need glasses to read and different pair glasses for distance or sports. Except wearing glasses while participating in sports is a real pain in the ass.

Now I don’t want to sound like a total complainer, but trust me… don’t ever take your vision for granted. Once you start losing it, you realize that your eyes are your primary connection with the world. Your vision allows you to see the soaring sunrises that are uniquely painted every single day, the billions of stars in the brilliant night sky, and the twinkle in your wife’s eye when you finally surprise her by doing something unexpectedly nice. In fact, how hard would it be to figure out if the person you love, loves you back, if you couldn’t look into their eyes. That’s a scary thought!

And that got me thinking… As we get older our vision should actually improve. I don’t mean our physical vision here on earth and all that our earthly home offers. I’m talking about our spiritual vision, our vision of heaven and the everlasting beauty that we know awaits us above. When I think about it that way, I have to say… things are looking up!

 

Age is no enemy. Age is a mile marker, 
a gentle reminder that home has never been so near.
~ Max Lucado 


No comments:

Post a Comment