Social Icons

Pages

Monday, January 18, 2021

Exercise Your Options

When I was a young boy I loved to be outdoors. My friends and I would always be running to somewhere, or riding our bikes, or simply walking the streets to explore the world around us. We didn’t purposely plan on exercising or worry about following a physical fitness program, we just thought it was fun to be “outdoors doing stuff”. And I’m pretty sure that being active as a kid helps you to grow into a healthier adult. I know it helped me because at 60 I was still playing baseball and at 65 I’m still playing golf, walking the course, and loving the challenge of it.

So after a lifetime of being active, I don’t plan on slowing down any time soon. Okay, maybe my wife does say I act like a kid sometimes. But I just respond by quoting the Bible, “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 18:3

And speaking of little children… I’m worried about them. I know that sitting on the couch playing video games has become the number one sport for most kids these days. That’s not good. And yesterday when I went for a bike ride on Beach Road, I saw at least a half dozen kids on “Electric Bicycles” and four more riding motorized “Hover Boards”, which are like two-wheel skateboards except you don’t have to push or do anything to get them moving. You just stand there and let the board do all the work. As they sped by me, I noticed not one of them was breaking a sweat… but I sure was!

So maybe the children of today are just smarter than me. They have figured out how to entertain themselves without any physical movement whatsoever. Or maybe they’re not! When I got home after pedaling 15 miles, I might have felt a little tired, but I also felt exhilarated. My heart was pounding, and I could feel the blood racing through my body. I felt strong, and I felt alive, and that felt good. After a few minutes to cool down and a quick bite to eat, I was raring to get back outside and enjoy some more sunshine.

And that got me thinking… Just because there’s a pandemic going on doesn’t mean we have to stay cooped up indoors. Head outdoors and get some exercise and remember, there are only two requirements when it comes to exercise. One is that you do it. The other is that you continue to do it!


I like to exercise first thing in the morning 

before my brain figures out what I’m doing!    

~ Marsha Doble 




No comments:

Post a Comment