Social Icons

Pages

Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Falling Behind


I watched two major sporting events on TV this past weekend that were really great as far as the entertainment factor. However, both of them left me with a sour taste in my mouth.

In the afternoon, I watched the final few holes of the TPC Sawgrass Golf Tournament in Phoenix. I was rooting for young Tony Finau to win and it looked like he had it all locked up. He was in first place on the leaderboard most of the day, all the way up to the 18th hole.  Unfortunately, his competitor, Webb Simpson, who fell behind for a while, never gave up. Webb made a birdie on the 18th hole to tie, and then went on to win in a surprising come from behind playoff victory.

The evening belonged to the biggest sporting event in America, the Super Bowl. I lived in San Francisco when I was young and going to college, so I was definitely rooting for the San Francisco 49ers to get the win. Plus I felt like their superstar quarterback, Jimmy Garoppolo was really coming into his own. Thankfully, by the start of the 4th quarter, they had a solid lead and were playing with confidence. But then something happened. They failed to convert an easy 3rd down and turned the ball over to the Kansas City Chiefs. The Chiefs took the ball and ran with it. I remember saying to my friends when the 49ers failed to convert, that the Chiefs fall behind in games all year only to pull out a win in the end. Unfortunately, that was a prophetic statement and once again I was swallowing the sour taste of defeat.

And that got me thinking… Falling behind is a just a normal part of life. It might be due to illness, bad luck, a bad boss, or some other bad break. But whatever it is, we can always count on life to throw us a wounded duck that is just out of reach, falling to the ground, stealing our joy. But so what! If we didn’t drop the ball once in a while, and get drop kicked in the gut at least once a month, the victories that we finally do achieve wouldn’t taste half as sweet!



Jimmy Garoppolo still smiling (kind of) after the Super Bowl
Some of God’s greatest gifts
are unanswered prayers.
~ Garth Brooks

No comments:

Post a Comment