Social Icons

Pages

Monday, January 27, 2020

Choosing to Remember


The news about Kobe Bryant and one of his daughters, plus seven other people killed in a Helicopter crash yesterday was shocking. It underscores how uncertain and unpredictable life can be. But when multiple children are taken from us at such a tender young age, it is unbelievably sad.

To be honest, I was never much of a Koby Bryant fan. I loved the Lakers and I loved watching Kobe and Shaq take over on the basketball court during their playoff runs. But it always seemed like Kobe was this dominant force that demanded to be in charge and at times he appeared to be really hard on his teammates. In all fairness though, I did admire his commitment to excellence and the way he always seemed to come through during the most difficult and crucial moments in a game. He was truly a unique athlete and definitely an LA icon.

My opinion of Kobe has changed though, not because he died, but because of how he died. From what I have read over the last 24 hours, Kobe was really close with his daughter Gianna. Apparently, she exhibited a lot of the same intensity on the basketball court as Kobe and for that reason… and probably many more… I read over and over again how super tight they were. Kobe died holding onto something he loved more than basketball, more than winning, more than championships. He left this earth holding onto his little girl. I think that is how I will choose to remember him.



A daughter may outgrow your lap,
but she will never outgrow your heart.
                  ~ Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment