Social Icons

Pages

Monday, December 31, 2018

A Little Bit of Hangin


Can you believe that tomorrow marks the start of another new year! Hard to believe another year has gone by and as I reflect back on 2018, I have some questions for myself. Was I too busy to coach the team? To distracted to take a walk on the beach with my wife? To stressed to take the grandkids to the park? too focused on myself to notice the beautiful faces around me? It’s so easy to take people for granted, especially the ones we love.

Recently I read a book that included interesting stories about political figures. One story that caught my attention was about Abraham Lincoln. A mother of a soldier who was accused of treason, was begging the President to pardon her son. The boy was to be hanged but at the last minute, Lincoln granted the pardon. However, he left the mother with these parting words, “Still, I wish we could teach him a lesson. I wish we could give him just a little bit of hangin’”.

I think I know what old Honest Abe had in mind. When I was 29 years, I had a two-year-old baby boy. We were visiting our in-laws at their ranch house in Fallbrook, hanging out the pool enjoying a nice summer day. I was talking to a friend for just a moment, and when I turned around, I didn’t see my little boy anywhere. My heart stopped, but before I could even move, I saw a friend pulling the child from the pool, coughing, choking and spitting up a jacuzzi worth of water.

I was severely traumatized by what happened. For the rest of the day I held onto that baby as tightly as I could, wrapping my heart around his, and thanking God that I did not lose him. I recognize now that I had been taking him for granted and that if anything would have happened to him, it would have killed me. It truly was… a little bit of hangin’.

In my briefcase, I keep a picture of my wife and all four of our children. One of the pictures is of my youngest son, who is now fully grown. I have my arm wrapped around him with the ocean in the background. I keep that picture with me so I will remember what God doesn’t want me to forget, which is to cherish those I love. And you better believe I won’t forget it. I don’t want any more hangin’, not even a little bit!

The poison of the ordinary can deaden 
your senses to the magic of the moment.
~ Max Lucado

No comments:

Post a Comment