Social Icons

Pages

Monday, May 28, 2018

Military Spirit



On Sunday my wife asked me to help clean up around our house. She reminded me that we were going to have family over on Monday for a Memorial Day BBQ and asked me to straighten up the spare bedroom. Being a good husband, I immediately went in there and kicked some stuff under the bed, threw some stuff in the closet, shut the dresser drawers, and fluffed up the pillows. Then I clapped my hands together and said, “Yep, looks pretty good!” (Although, that might not have been exactly what my wife had in mind!)

But as I started to leave the room feeling pretty good about myself, I noticed something shiny hiding behind the dresser. I took a closer look and it turned out to be my Dad’s military sword. I had forgotten about it for years but there it was, a long, sharp, shiny, impressive reminder of what I call “Military Spirit”. This sword was awarded to my father, by his father (a USMC Major), when my Dad was first promoted to the rank of Officer in the United States Marines Corp.

Holding that sword in my hand gave me chills and totally got my adrenalin going. However, it also made me a little sad that I hadn’t followed in my father’s footsteps. Having grown up in a military family I know the sacrifice, strength and courage it takes to commit to the military life, so I have the utmost respect for everyone who serves. But my Dad discouraged me from joining the military because he wanted me to go to college. I wonder how my life would have changed if I had enlisted at the tender age of 18 like my Dad?

As I pictured myself standing on the field of battle, sword drawn, facing the enemy head on, outnumbered but not outwitted, I realized something about myself. My Dad didn’t just give me his military sword, he passed down to me his “Military Spirit”. Maybe part of it is genetic and part of it is learned, but there’s definitely something military in my nature that has served me well throughout my life. And I see these same six traits in all of the men and women that I admire. For example -

  1. Courage -    If they see someone in trouble, they don’t hesitate to put themselves in harm’s way.

  1. Sacrifice -    If they see a weaker person needing help, they immediately jump in to assist.

  1. Honesty -    If they find something that doesn’t belong to them, they seek out the rightful owner.

  1. Integrity -   If they witness a wrong, they do what it takes to make it right.

  1. Character - If they hear someone gossiping, they don’t listen.

  1. Loyalty -     If they hear someone bad mouthing a friend, they speak up in their defense.
 After dwelling on the idea of “Military Spirit” I realized that if I want to be part of this elite group, I better fix something immediately… It was then that I grabbed a vacuum cleaner and immediately headed back to the spare bedroom!  


I am proud to be an American, 
where at least I know I’m free.
I won’t forget the men who died,
Whose spirit gave that right to me.
~ Lee Greenwood 

No comments:

Post a Comment