Social Icons

Pages

Monday, May 14, 2018

Make A Difference

Yesterday was Mother’s Day and I am one who definitely believes that Moms deserve a special day! What they go through and what they put up with is nuts… and they don’t even get paid for all that work. Being a Mom has to be both the worst job in the world and yet it can be the best job in the world too, if we simply make a difference by showing them our love. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to do that this year because my Mom passed away. So I have decided to focus on the other “Moms” in my life, such as my wife, daughters, mother-in-law, daughter-in-law, and my “special friend” named Pao Chi.

Pao Chi Chen will be 94 years old next month.  She lives alone in a tiny apartment and although she is nearly a century old, her health is still good. In fact, her eyesight is so good and her hands so steady that she still creates beautiful paintings of birds, landscapes, and people every single week. Pao Chi’s story is quite amazing. She was born in a small village in China, escaped the communist invasion at age 16, took a boat to France, became a world-renowned artist who trained in Paris, exhibited in 5 countries, and speaks 4 languages. Although we could not be more different (she is a 4’ tall Chinese Buddhist woman who paints and I am a 5’11” American Christian man who sells light bulbs) we are still best of friends.

If you have been reading my Monday Messages over the years, then you might recall the way I met this wonderful, yet very tiny little lady. The truth is, six years ago, almost to the day, is when I ran her over in a parking lot and nearly killed her. She was hospitalized for many months and nearly died, but through the grace of God and His answering of my fervent daily prayers, she lived… and we became best friends.

When I visited Pao Chi this week to wish her a Happy Mother’s Day, she was glad to see me, but sad. When I asked her why she was sad she explained that her last remaining friend from her childhood days passed away. And since she has only one son (who suffered a stroke recently and can’t do much) she is suddenly feeling very alone. All the people she knew and loved in her life are gone and there is no one to visit her, no one for her to call, no one to really talk to. It dawned on me that while it’s great to live a long life, it can also be lonely for those without a family.

I was feeling bad for Pao Chi, so before I left her apartment I decided to try to cheer her up. I said, “Can I ask you a favor? Since my Mom passed away a couple months ago, would it be okay if I adopted you as my Mom?” Pao Chi’s eyes began to water but she also started to smile, and she gave me the biggest, longest, best hug ever. I imagine there are millions of elderly people like Pao Chi who are lonely, and of course there is no way that I can make a difference to all of them, but I can definitely make a difference to one of them!

A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, 
promptly announces she never did care for pie.
~ Tenneva Jordon


No comments:

Post a Comment