Social Icons

Pages

Monday, May 1, 2017

My World

My wife and I attended a memorial service last week for a friend who passed away unexpectedly. It was a beautiful ceremony and more of a celebration of his life than anything else. But as his lovely wife talked through her tears about his life and all that he accomplished, I couldn’t help thinking about my own life. Have I really accomplished anything of value during all the years of my life? Have I made a difference in this world? Can I make a difference in this world?

Somewhere, I remember reading a very haunting question. Do you want to make a difference in this world? The author’s answer was short, direct, and to the point. “Live a holy life.”

Whoa! That’s a lot easier said than done. And even if I could do that, could I really make a positive difference in this world? Here’s my answer… No! First off, I can’t live a completely holy life no matter how hard I try because I am simply a flawed human being, full of faults and far from grace. Second, I am only one person, living in one small town, in one small part of a country, that is part of a huge planet teeming with billions of people. I can’t possibly make a difference in this world.

But I can make a difference in my world! My world consists of my wife, my children, my grandchildren, my extended family, my friends, my coworkers and the people I meet on the street. My world is small compared to the entire population of the planet, but it’s still my world, where everything I do can have an effect on the people around me.
If am faithful to my spouse…
If I am honest at work…
If I treat my neighbors with respect and strangers with generosity…
If I pay my bills (and even my taxes) ...
If I lead a peace-filled life of love for others…
If I don’t speak one message and lead another…
If I set a good example…
Maybe I can make a difference in my world!

Actions do speak louder than words and most of the time, you would be surprised at how many people are watching. I know the list above is not easy, but if I am trying to honor God with how I live my life, and if my actions match my words, then people will know I am a Christian, not because of my words, but because of the example I set... in my world!

Example is not the main thing in influencing others. 
It is the only thing.
~ Albert Schweitzer


No comments:

Post a Comment