Social Icons

Pages

Monday, March 28, 2016

The Smallest Cross

I have been writing Monday Messages since January of 2007. They currently go out directly to over 400 people and indirectly via my MM Blog to hundreds more and almost every week I hear back from a dozen or more people with words of encouragement or even better yet, a story of their own. It means a lot to me to hear back from people and be reminded that even though we all have our own problems and struggles; life can be so much better and more meaningful when we have friends and loved ones to share it with.

So I keep on writing. But whenever someone asks me why I write my Monday Messages I try to keep the answer simple, but really…it’s not. First, it’s my way of thanking God for all the blessings he has given me in my life. Second, my hope is that I will be able to draw people nearer to God. And third, it helps me to personally stay focused on doing what is right so I can become the best person I can possibly be. But there is actually a fourth reason as well…which I didn’t even realize until yesterday morning!

Yesterday, Easter Sunday morning, my wife surprised me with the gift an awesome silver cross. That cross was perfect for me because the symbolism has such deep meaning and at the same time it sparked a memory… About two weeks ago I received a very heartwarming email from a former customer of mine who retired two years ago. Mike was a carpenter by trade and a construction superintendent for many years, but he now lives on a ranch in Texas and spends all his spare time making small wooden crosses to hand out for free as part of his “Street Ministry” program. I always enjoyed working for him because he was so down to earth, friendly and honest. I truly miss him, but he is obviously really happy with his new found purpose in life. He told me he has carved out thousands of small wooden crosses over the past two years and has sent them for free to hundreds of “street ministers” all over the world, including sending one to me. His recent gracious email message to me truly touched me and made me realize there is a fourth reason I write Monday Messages, although it’s a somewhat selfish reason. Quite often… I get something back.

I have to say that I haven’t ever thought of myself as a “street minister” before, but I think I kind of like that term. In fact, I bet there are a lot of people out there who find their own unique ways to help others who could easily be referred to as “street ministers” as well. And I bet they don’t consider it as work or a sacrifice either because they too feel like they get back more than they give. So let me just say, I’m not qualified to preach and I’m not a pastor, I’m not even a good writer yet. I’m just an average Joe. But the one thing that will never fail to inspire me to reach higher and do more for others, especially at this time of year, is best symbolized by a cross, even one small enough to fit into the palm of my hand! 
They gave him a manger for a cradle, 
a carpenter’s bench for a pulpit, 
thorns for a crown and a cross for a throne. 
He took them all and made them the very glory of his career.
~ W. E. Orchard      

No comments:

Post a Comment