Social Icons

Pages

Monday, April 4, 2016

Friday Night at the Movies

My wife and I were really looking forward to celebrating our 21st wedding anniversary on Saturday. So when I went to bed on Friday night I was reliving in my mind all the wonderful moments we have shared over the years. I went to bed smiling but woke up at midnight to a nightmare. My wife was bent over with severe stomach pain, shaking uncontrollably and asking me to take her to the hospital.

I threw on my clothes and got her to Mission Hospital within 15 minutes. I’ve actually had a lot of practice rushing her to the hospital so let me just say that I’m getting pretty good at it! (Just trying to find some kind of positive note at the time.) When we arrived the emergency room was totally packed. Apparently Friday nights at the ER are as popular as Friday nights at the movies. It was so crowded there were no chairs left, but we found a small bench in a nearby hallway and waited for her name to be called. And wait we did… five hours… as it wasn’t until after 5:00am that my wife was finally treated by a doctor.

Sitting in the Emergency Room for so many hours, watching all the different types of people come and go, was more than just interesting, it was enlightening.
  • First, there was the middle aged woman whose hair and make-up had obviously been severely neglected, except for the bright red lipstick she was wearing. I have a feeling her female friend with her helped her to apply it at the last minute.
  • Then there was the twenty something guy with a banged up and heavily bandaged ankle and his buddy helping him hobble in, but at the same time making fun of his gimpy walk.
  • Then there was the young mother, alone with her tiny little three-year old son. The boy was really sick and kept having to throw up every few minutes, but he was trying hard to be brave for his mommy and not cry. I think his mom was in more pain over his pain than he was.
  • Then there was the teenaged girl with the dyed blond hair and darkly painted eyes who was obviously high on drugs. Her female friend wrapped her in a blanket and lowered her carefully into a wheelchair while the blond just kept staring straight ahead with a sad tragic smile on her face.
  • Lastly there was the young Hispanic man with his elderly mother. At one point he held on to her tightly and walked her over to the nurse’s window and explained in a panic that she was about to pass out. The nurse told him to find her a chair and he freaked out and started cursing loudly at the doctors and nurses. The nurse remained calm and helped him lower her into a chair and fortunately within about a minute they were able to take her in for treatment.
I have been to the emergency room with my wife many times and I’ve noticed that in recent years they always have a security guard stationed at the ER. I think it’s a good idea because it’s easy to see how people can get worked up and highly emotional when their loved ones are in pain. But I noticed something else as well… nobody in that room was alone. Every single person had a loving companion with them, helping them, caring for them, worrying about them, making sure they got the help they needed. If you want to find an example of people modeling the love and compassion that Jesus showed when he walked the earth, just visit any hospital…at any time… on any day. It’s much more moving than a movie!

Love is staying up all night with a sick child - or a healthy adult.
           ~ David Frost


No comments:

Post a Comment