Social Icons

Pages

Monday, June 15, 2015

Turn Up The Music

I enjoy meeting new people and making new friends and on Friday night I met someone really special. His name is Frank Orrall and I consider him special for two reasons; he truly enjoys his job and he truly brings joy to his job.

My next door neighbor invited my wife and I to join him and a small group of friends for dinner and entertainment on Friday night. It was a really special evening because he hired a gourmet chef, but this wasn’t just any chef; this was a man of many talents, a true renaissance man. Besides being a gourmet chef, Frank also sings and plays multiple instruments in two different bands. In fact, the very next night he was set to perform with a band called “Thievery Corporation” as the headliner at a concert in San Diego.

The appetizers that Frank prepared on Friday evening were unique and outstanding and the entrée was even more fantastic. But after consuming an awesome meal, we were further entertained as Frank played guitar and sang some of the hits songs off of one of his albums. It has been several years since I touched my guitar, but towards the end of the evening several of us broke out our own guitars and played along with Frank, singing and laughing and having the best time. There is something about really good food and really good music that just guarantees a great time for all.

The next morning as I thought about the fun we had the night before, I realized that Frank’s job is basically all about serving others and bringing joy into their lives. That seems like an awesome job because if I remember correctly, the Bible stresses over and over again how we are supposed to “serve others”. So if you can serve others and get paid for it…how great would that be! But then again, I don’t think Frank is doing it for the money, I think he is doing it because he enjoys it just as much as his audience does.

So how awesome would it be to have a job you love, that also brings joy into people’s lives. But wait…why can’t every job be like that? Does it really matter what your job is? I sell light bulbs for a living but does that mean that I can’t bring a little smile and a little joy to my work each day. It dawned on me that no matter what we do for a living, if we look for ways to bring a little joy to those we work with and to those we work for, the world would be a better place. In fact, I think I’ll stop on the way to work and buy a few “gourmet donuts” for my friends at the office and maybe I’ll even break out into a song at lunch time. Okay maybe that’s not gonna happen, but I could “turn up the music” in my life by remembering to serve a song of love to everyone I meet.  
Frank on Drums with Thievery Corporation

Frank Orrall in New York City - 2008

Music is love in search of a word.
~ Sidney Lanier

No comments:

Post a Comment