Social Icons

Pages

Sunday, June 28, 2015

One On One

Dear Joe,
I've loved your messages and have often been inspired. So today, I would like to send you a "message". 

Today before baseball practice I stopped at a Subway to get a sandwich to eat while driving to the Sports Park. There was a man that appeared to be homeless or transient, asking passers by for spare change, with little apparent success. I took a long route around him, to avoid a pointless encounter, because after all, I only had $20 bills on me. As I'm walking into the Subway, I'm thinking that's such a “convenient excuse”. Then it occurred to me that he's not panhandling anywhere near a liquor store. It's an outdoor food court with a bunch of fast food restaurants, so I'm thinking he's hungry. Right away, I decide to order two of the same sandwiches. If it's good enough for me, it better be good enough for him.

When the order's ready, I pay and proceed outside to the food court. He's still kind of slowly strolling through the food court and as I approach him I ask him if he's hungry and hand him the sandwich.  Of course weakness from hunger keeps him from jumping up and down, but he is quite obviously grateful. It made me feel really good because for the first time in a long time, I was able to directly help someone that needed help. But on top of that, there was maybe a larger positive effect. It seemed like everyone in the food court looked up from their meals and with a guilty look on their face thinking, I (or we) should have done that.

I walked away with hopes that some of the people in the food court would remember what they saw and how they felt. And that maybe the next time they're in a similar scenario, they'll show some kindness too. I haven't done enough of that lately, at least not on a personal level. Sure, I make quite a few donations to charitable organizations, but it feels so much more rewarding to be able to help somebody “one on one”. And I can see myself playing out this scenario on regular basis. Little things like this won't change the world, but hopefully they can be contagious…in a one on one kind of way!


Dear Bill,
Yesterday I dropped my wife off at the Laguna Hills Mall and as I was exiting the parking lot to head to my office, I saw a homeless man begging on the corner. I took out my wallet but saw that I only had large bills, so I put it back. But then I remembered the letter you sent me…and I immediately honked my horn, rolled down my window and handed the man some money. He spoke only for a brief moment, said he lost  his job recently and that he could no long afford his apartment and was embarrassed to be asking for help. Oh yeah, and he said, “God bless you” in a way that I will never forget. So thank you for inspiring me to do the right thing and you are right…one on one feels really good!


Remember, people will judge you by your actions, not your intentions.
You may have a heart of gold - but so does a hard-boiled egg.
~ Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment