Social Icons

Pages

Monday, May 13, 2013

Love, Sacrifice & Tents

Yesterday was Mother’s Day. It’s supposed to be the day we celebrate and honor our Moms, a day where we show them our love and take care of them for a change. However, I have a feeling that in most households Mom was still busy working yesterday, helping with the food, making sure everyone was happy and cleaning up afterwards. It’s not our fault that happens…Moms are just built that way. They love to do for others, take care of others and sacrifice their own wants and needs for others. My Mom is no exception.
 
When I was a little boy around 8 years old my Dad came home one night and told our family he was going to be deployed overseas. He said his Marine Corps Unit might be gone for as long as two years. To a little boy who can’t wait for the 3:00pm bell to ring at school, two years seemed like an eternity. It made me really sad but what I didn’t think about at the time was how hard it was going to be on my Mom being away from the man she loved so much. They were very close my Mom and Dad, inseparable and devoted to each other. Even though I was little, I could feel their love for each other every single day. Now I could feel the pain my Mom was going through without him. Sometimes I would wake up at night and hear her crying in her room and it scared me and gave me nightmares. But somehow my Mom would always put on a brave face, wrap her arms around me and make things better by telling me…..”Everything is going to be okay”.
 
Since times were tough and money was scarce, my Mom took a job working nights at a restaurant. Not only did she have to serve food to customers, she had to work hard to put food on our table as well. She never complained about it though and always had a positive attitude and a smile. I was too young to fully understand how hard things were for her, but I do remember one incident that gave me a glimpse of her love for her family and her willingness to sacrifice for us.
 
For Christmas that year I received a tent and I planned to use it to go camping with my Dad. But with my Dad 3,000 miles away there was little chance of that happening. So I asked my Mom (I mean…begged my Mom) to help me set up the tent in our back yard so I could have friends over that weekend to “camp out”. She knew it was important to me and that I couldn’t do it on my own, but she had no time to help me because she was late for work. I went to bed that night really upset, missing my Dad more than ever, and just a little bit mad at Mom for not helping me.
 
The next morning I woke up and went out into the kitchen. As I poured some milk on my cereal I noticed through the patio window that there was a tent erected in the back yard! I don’t know how my Mom managed to erect that huge tent all by herself…and I don’t even know when she did it. But somehow she did it. I ran outside and checked it out and noticed that she didn’t put it together quite right, a few pieces were in the wrong places, and that’s when it hit me. She didn’t have the time to be putting up a tent and she didn’t even know how to put up a tent…but somehow she did her best in the middle of the night because she loved me that much. I never worried about things again after that….I just knew “everything was going to be okay”! 
 
A mother is a person who….seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people....
promptly announces she never did care for pie.
                                                                                                       ~ Tenneva Jordan

 

No comments:

Post a Comment