Social Icons

Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

Divine Design

It is hard to separate our hearts from our minds. The heart is simple, driven by emotions such as passion, hope, desire and dreams. But the mind is much more complicated, always searching for answers to questions big and small. Still they have to communicate with each other on every issue, so the heart fuels the brain while the brain drives the body and together they allow us to move forward each day, hopefully moving in the right direction.

That seems like a good combination because I know from experience that when I go with only what my heart wants I often get hurt and when I go with only what my brain wants, I sometimes end up hurting someone else and I don’t want that either. I guess it’s best to use both.

For example, yesterday morning I was helping my son fix up his new home. But I also had a golf tee time at 11:30. So I was at Home Depot picking up all the things we forgot the first trip (you know how that goes) and I am really rushing to get to the check-out line so I can finish the work and not miss my tee time, when I spot a small elderly Asian man struggling to lift heavy boxes onto a cart. My mind is telling me to walk on by and keep going, but my heart is telling me to stop and lend a hand. So I did stop and when I put both my heart and my mind together, what I came up with was to…..Stop and do the right thing because golf courses are always running late anyway and chances are it will all work out. And of course it did and even better, you should have seen the big smile and gracious bow that the Asian man gave me. He made me feel really special!

And that got me thinking… Perhaps we were given both a heart and a mind as part of a “Divine Design” by our Creator. He designed us to be both loving and compassionate, and yet also strong and intelligent. All we have to do is recognize the tools we have been blessed with and make sure to use all of them!

(And if we’re still confused, well…..that’s when we turn to our Creator for a little advice!)


There is no exercise better for the heart
than reaching down and lifting people up.
                                                                                                   ~ John Andrew Holmes, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment