Social Icons

Pages

Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Burger Queen

I admit I have a few bad habits and one of them is that I love to eat hot dogs and hamburgers. Somehow it’s just been programmed into me over time. And what makes it really bad is that I am constantly on the road, so I tend to go to a lot of fast-food restaurants where the food is probably not all that healthy. But hey, there are worse things in this world.

Lately, when I’ve gone to fast-food places I’ve been extremely disappointed. There is no longer a human being at the counter to take your order. Instead you have to go up to a machine and try to punch the right buttons to get your food order placed. It doesn’t work well and the last time I tried it, the machine didn’t work at all. So I went up to the counter and stood there for over 5 minutes waiting for help. A line started to form behind me and after 10 minutes, I gave up and left telling the people behind me, “I quit, and I think the people that work here must have quit too!”

Last week, I went to a Wienerschnitzel Restaurant and was greeted at the drive thru by an “AI” person. Or maybe “person” isn’t the right word. I think it’s actually called “Chatbot”, and I have to say that the “Chatbot” actually did a good job of taking my order. But driving away, I felt more like I had just bought a sandwich from a vending machine rather than buying lunch at a restaurant. I know it sounds stupid, but I miss the “human” interaction.

But yesterday was different! I needed to wash up after working, so I stopped at the McDonalds off of Lake Forest Drive and went inside. I was greeted with a big smile and a friendly hello from an older lady behind the counter. (I say older, but what I really mean is someone my age.) She took my order right away, asked me the appropriate questions, and really seemed to enjoy her job. After I paid and glanced down at my dirty hands, I started towards the restroom. She said, “I will keep your drink cup here for you for when you come back.” Just a small thing, but she was doing her best to be extra helpful and considerate. And when I got my food and was leaving, she said with a warm smile, “Drive safe” and “I hope you have a great day”. Funny thing is, I believe she meant it!

Those seemingly ordinary moments when we care enough to notice the needs of others and do what we can to brighten someone’s day… are not ordinary at all. And I definitely don’t think we can program a Chatbot to do that!


Kindness can be the greatest gift that you can give a person. 
Especially when they are not expecting it.
 ~ Anonymous


No comments:

Post a Comment