Social Icons

Pages

Monday, September 25, 2023

The Key

I was lying in bed last night trying to think of a good idea for a Monday Message and couldn't think of anything! It’s frustrating because I committed myself many years ago to write a short story or create some kind of positive message every Monday, but sometimes I just draw a blank.

However, I received my inspiration early this morning. I was at a Shopping Center in Irvine across from the UCI Campus, doing an ultrasonic pole inspection when I noticed the security guard approaching me. I often get questioned by security guards when I’m working, but I recognized this lady. She’s a bit older than most security guards, but the same tall, thin, woman I’ve seen at that Shopping Center every year. She appears to be a bit rough and tough, as most security guards need to be, but she also has a great smile.

I’ve never really said more than a few words to her, but today she recognized me and stopped to talk a bit. She asked me about my job, and I explained what I do and that I find it really fun and interesting, although also very challenging at times. She replied, “Yeah, my job is challenging too, but I don’t really like it so much. There are too many spoiled young kids in this area that go into Albertsons every week and steal things.” She went on to say, “It makes me both sad and mad, cause kids shouldn’t be that way.”

I agreed with her and suggested that maybe the parents were part of the problem. She laughed at that. But then she also mentioned that there’s a job she’s had her eye on for over a year. A better paying job with a private company. But she said she’s been too afraid to apply for it because she knows she’ll get turned down. My first response was, “How do you know if you don’t try?”

But then I started thinking… about something my wife said to me after we first got married. I was going through a really tough time, struggling over whether or not to take my business in a new direction, one that would be very risky, but that could also pay off in a big way. Debby said to me, “I read something recently that I think applies to your situation.” Her words of advice are shown below, and when I remembered her giving me that advice, I decided right then and there to share it with the security guard. She didn’t respond immediately, but after a few moments, I saw that bright smile appear and I knew I had an idea for a Monday Message.


“The door to my life is within me.

I hold the key. And no one else does.”

       ~ as told to me by Debby Thrailkill, circa 1995




No comments:

Post a Comment