Social Icons

Pages

Monday, July 25, 2022

Do Good, Get Good

You know that saying, “Karma is a bitch”? (Sorry for the bad language.) Well it’s probably true, but not always a bad thing.  Let me give you an example.

When I was a teenager, I remember going to the bank with my Dad. He was cashing a check and I was just tagging along. As we drove away, my Dad said he didn’t think the cashier gave us the right amount of money and asked me to count it. I did and he was right, there was way too much money. He immediately turned the car around, drove back, and returned the money, explaining to me that not only is it wrong to keep the money, it might also get the cashier in trouble. Just one of his many life lessons that has stuck me, especially since the very next day my Dad was given a large pay raise at his job.

Fast forward to current times and last week I had a chance to put that lesson to the test myself.  At my pole inspection company we use a ton of rust inhibitor spray, but all year long it has been harder and harder to find. After waiting weeks, I got a call from McFadden Dale Hardware that my order for 24 cans had finally come in. I drove to Santa Ana, went into the store and some guy named Anthony waited on me at the will call counter. He had trouble finding my order, but finally came up with 20 cans. He wrote up my order, I paid for it, and left the store. But when I got in my truck, I noticed he only charged me for 14 cans. The stuff is expensive, and I didn’t want the guy to get in trouble, so I returned to the store and told him he didn’t charge me enough.

Anthony became really flustered and checked the bill over and over again trying to figure out his mistake. Eventually he looked at me sheepishly and said, “Thanks for coming back, I really screwed this up”. I paid the balance and then asked Anthony to please order me 24 more cans. He said it would take a long time to get them. I nodded, “I know”, and left.

Thirty minutes later, I get an unknown caller on my cell phone. It’s Anthony, and he says, “I got you 24 more cans of rust inhibitor in will call right now. Come get them.” When I asked him how on earth he got them so fast, he simply said, “Don’t ask, just come get them.”

Karma – noun – Definition (In Buddhism) the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences.

My definition of Karma –  Do Good, Get Good!


Treat people as you would like to be treated. Karma’s only a [b!#@%] if you are.
~ Anonymous


No comments:

Post a Comment