Social Icons

Pages

Monday, March 14, 2022

Tool Time

If you call somebody a “tool” it’s supposed to be a derogatory remark. But that doesn’t make sense to me because one of the secrets to doing a job well and doing it right has always been having the right tool. So that makes the right tool a really good thing, right? I wonder… is it that way with friends as well?

I was a working electrician for many years because I have always enjoyed working with my hands and still do. In fact, I still have my original electrician’s leather tool belt, which has been riding around with me in my truck every day for many, many years. I don’t give it much thought and I don’t take very good care of it anymore, but I always know it’s there when I need it.

The thing is, I don’t actually wear that old toolbelt anymore, but I do keep a few spare tools in it. The pockets also have a bunch of old nuts, bolts, and screws collected along the way from places I worked, like the very first In-N-Out Burger ever built, the original Angel Stadium of Anaheim, Fashion Island Shopping Center, the Bren Center at UCI, San Diego City Hall, and the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles.

Three times last week that old toolbelt came in super handy for me. One example, my Father-in-Law asked me to help him install a new handheld shower head. The parts that came with it didn’t fit his type of shower stall and we both struggled with it for quite a while. That is until I went out to my truck and searched through my old toolbelt. I found the perfect pair of needle nose pliers and the exact size of plastic wall anchors needed to complete the installation. Five minutes later, the job was done.

And that got me thinking… I have been blessed with some really good friends over the years, people who have been there for me when I needed them most, and greatly enriched my life. I don’t always give them enough thought like I should, so shame on me. But I bet you they will be there for me if I need them. That makes the right friend a really good thing, right!


A true friend never gets in the way unless you happen to be going down.
~ Arnold H. Glasgow


No comments:

Post a Comment