Social Icons

Pages

Monday, March 2, 2020

Passion Statement


Sometimes in life, we have to do things we don’t necessarily want to do. For example, you might want your son or daughter to join a youth soccer league, but they’re short on coaches so you get roped into coaching, even though you don’t know anything about soccer. You don’t want to do it, and you don’t know how to do it, but you know you should do it. Recently, I noticed something interesting, and good, about that problem when it happens. Let me explain.

Some friends of ours go to the same Church we do, and they were talking about participating in an upcoming Bible Study Program. They said they wanted to participate in a “Small Group” to follow the new program but didn’t necessarily want to host it or lead it. I liked the subject matter for the study but I’m not a Pastor, or an Elder, or even all that smart, so I didn’t volunteer for anything. But a week went by and the time was getting close to start the small group study. I knew I wasn’t qualified, but I do have a passion for my faith. So, although I didn’t want to do it, my passion…led to action… and I soon found myself picking up the phone and making the commitment to lead the group.

Now I was stuck! I had made a commitment! And I’m not the type of person who goes back on their word. So, I started by taking a class on “How to Lead a Small Group” at the Church. I then began reading the printed study materials and watching the DVD about the program. I even took it a step further and started going to classes to join the church because I knew those classes would give me better insight into how Bible Study works. I thought about ways to make the Bible Study sessions fun and how to get people interested and involved so that we not only learned something, but also enjoyed the time together and bonded as friends.

So far, I’ve led two study sessions and guess what, I am really enjoying it! I don’t know if the other people are having fun and enjoying it, but I do know that I feel really good about fulfilling the commitment I made. The interesting thing I noticed is that participating in a Bible Study Group has always been fun, but leading one is actually both fun and satisfying. I also learned that making a commitment to doing something good, even if it’s outside your comfort zone, helps us to grow as human beings. Just remember, the first step begins with passion, but it won't go anywhere without commitment!

Passion is empty without action.
~ Dave Ramsey

No comments:

Post a Comment