Social Icons

Pages

Monday, September 2, 2019

Third Times


Do you ever wonder where those “old sayings” come from? You know what I mean, ones like “things always happen in threes”. I don’t know where that one came from, but it certainly came into play for me and some of my family members recently.

  1. Three months ago, I wrote a Monday Message about losing my wallet. I wrote about how I felt like I was getting older and starting to lose things, and how the panic set in when I realized my wallet was missing. Fortunately, I found it two days later, but the damage was already done.

  1. Three weeks ago, I got a phone call from my youngest son, David, who was in a panic. His first words were, “Dad, I’m in trouble”. All kinds of scary thoughts immediately went through my head and then he clarified it for me. “I can’t find my wallet!” Fortunately, later that evening his wallet turned up hiding in the cushions of the couch.

  1. Three days ago, my wife and I met our kids and grandkids at the Del Mar Racetrack to celebrate my oldest son Cameron’s birthday. We had a great time, despite mostly losing every bet, but on the way home my wife suddenly yelled out in a panic. “I can’t find my wallet!” Sure enough, her wallet was missing from her purse and unfortunately it hasn’t turned up yet, but from some reason I am confident that it will.

That’s a pretty good example of things happening in threes for sure. But there are lots of old sayings and maybe they’re called “old sayings” because they come from stories in the Bible? For example, I remember reading in Luke about how Jesus said that Peter would deny knowing him three times before the rooster crowed. Maybe that’s where that particular saying about “things always happening in threes” came from?

I don’t know for sure, but it got me thinking… Isn’t there a story in the Bible about Jesus dying and being raised from the dead three days later. That story gave me an idea for another old saying we should always remember, one that I need to share with my wife right away to keep her hopes up about finding her wallet, “The third time is a charm!”

On the third day, He rose again from the dead.
~ Apostle’s Creed 12



No comments:

Post a Comment