Social Icons

Pages

Monday, July 8, 2019

The Thoughtful Trifecta


We live on Beach Road where many of the homes are rented out on a weekly basis, especially during the summer months. That means we constantly have new neighbors. But I never know what kind of people will arrive next, where they came from, how long they will stay, or whether or not they will be nice or a nuisance. The only thing I do know, is what kind of person my wife is.

Let me just say that our weekly new neighbors certainly are lucky people. Sometimes it’s a huge pan of brownies, sometimes it’s a dozen cookies. Sometimes, if they are an elderly couple, it’s a complete meal. My wife doesn’t discriminate, she’s an equal opportunity cook and treats every new neighbor like a long lost relative. Besides being an excellent chef and a creative baker, she is thoughtful in her gift giving. She will often wait to see how many people there are, whether or not they have kids, and whether they are young or old before she goes into action. I remember one day coming home to find a huge bag full of beany babies in our family room because as it turns out, the new people that just arrived next door had seven children under the age of 12.

Being thoughtful and going out of her way for strangers is an awesome trait. But there is a second aspect to her “gift giving” that really blows me away. I remember reading in the Bible (in the first chapter of the New Testament) that we are supposed to be careful and quiet when we do good things. We are not supposed to put on a show so that everyone notices. We are supposed to be humble and realize that God will always know our good works… and that is all that really matters.

So guess who gets to deliver the brownies and cookies and gifts? That’s right, me! And it’s really fun! People are surprised and shocked to see me walk up with a plate full of goodies out of nowhere and I just love their reactions. I usually take a minute to find out where they’re from and make a little small talk, but I always leave feeling guilty because I wasn’t the thoughtful one and I didn’t do the work. I’m just the lucky guy who gets to have the fun of seeing all those happy faces. So I always make sure to mention right up front, the one who deserves the credit back home.

My wife has given hundreds of thoughtful gifts to many, many people. But the best gift is the one she has given me. It’s the gift of learning a powerful lesson of service, hospitality and humility. You might even call it the thoughtful trifecta!

Debby patrolling Beach Road for new neighbors to serve!
Your giving should be done in secret. Your Father can 
see what is done in secret, and he will reward you.
~ Matthew 6:4





1 comment:

  1. ❤️. Debbie IS always so thoughtful! You both are! The neighbors are very blessed to meet you guys and be your neighbors for even a short time. 💕

    ReplyDelete