Social Icons

Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Open Your Eyes

My wife and I are currently on vacation in Kauai and staying in a private home that has an absolutely gorgeous view. The house sits on top of Honu-Point Bluff, about 400’ above the ocean, with a 280 degree of the never-ending white-water waves that keep rolling in down below. It is the most beautiful location we’ve ever rented, so we feel extremely blessed and are enjoying every minute of it.  

But the ocean isn’t even the most beautiful sight at this location. I would have to say it’s a toss-up between the morning sunrises and the evening sunsets. They are amazingly brilliant and extremely colorful every single day... and colorful is an understatement! Being a lighting nerd, let me tell you something about color. When you look at an object that is blue or red, it will only appear blue or red, if those colors exist in the light source that is shining on it. Therefore, the color of an object is actually a reflection of the color that emanates from the light source. Fortunately for us, the sun produces every color in the rainbow (and then some) creating a very colorful world for us to enjoy. I almost feel like God paints us a beautiful picture every morning to help us start our day and then paints us a photogenic sunset to remind us to appreciate the day we just had. The sad thing is that I get so busy sometimes that I miss out on God’s daily visual gifts. However, being on vacation has opened my eyes… so to speak!  

And that got me thinking… Perhaps the same rainbow of colors that God created for our world also exist inside each one of us as human beings. I wonder if we somehow emanate red when we are angry, or yellow when we are sad. Or maybe the green inside of us comes out when we are charitable, but when we are cold towards our fellow human beings we turn ice blue. Since colors only appear when they exist within the source, let me ask you a question. What color will you paint your world today?  
Kauai Sunrise
Kauai Sunset
One way to open your eyes to the beauty of this world is to ask yourself, 
“What if I had never seen this before? What if I knew that I would never see it again?”
~ Rachal Carson

No comments:

Post a Comment